Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where is the most romantic place in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 05:51 PM
Cate Hedrich

Looking for a romantic Italian getaway. As a Flight Attendant, I have to fly standby which means hotel reservations are not possible. Would like romantic hotel (small, intimate and not too expensive) What city do you suggest for a memorable time with my wonderful husband who I don't get to spend enough time with? We love good food and drink-- history and architecture--not beach goers.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 07:04 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Having just come home from the lakes region in June, that's what I have to recommend. Lago di Garda is exquisite, as is Lago di Como. Scenic and charming little villages around each lake, starting at the shore and built up into the mountains.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 01:05 PM
lola

Ravello. Villa Maria. Just what you want....or, if you want a larger area, Amalfi, a few kms away, with a daytrip to Ravello. Many hotels there created from convents. A day driving to Positano and a boat ride to Capri would be a part of this most perfect romantic experience.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 02:23 PM
anne

As a fellow non-rev passenger, I know what you mean! Do you fly into Milan? If so, the lakes, as recommended above, are wonderfully romantic,easily accessible, and very close to Milan.We've been to Lake Como, and would stay again in Bellagio. A pilot friend highly recommends Lake Garda.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 05:23 PM
Paul

We found our most romantic place at a farm outside of Volterra in the Tuscany area. We rented an apartment for a few days which was surrounded by farmland and vineyards. I can't tell you the name of this place but there has to be many others like it all over Tuscany. An alternative to a hotel.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 06:38 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Cate, Go to www.orta.net and you will <BR>have your answer. I have planned more <BR>than 50 personalized trips to Italy and <BR>Orta is special---and only :45 from <BR>Malpensa. Stay at the Hotel Orta--old <BR>but charming--or the San Rocco if you <BR>want a nice 4 star. It is all magical.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 07:02 AM
howard

As the previous posters have already indicated, there are a lot of places in Italy that can meet your criteria. <BR>You certainly can add Venice to the list. <BR>I'd suggest you take advantage of this potentially wide choice and do a little research. Pick out "x" number of places that would fill the bill and then get ready to take whatever flight you can that will take you to or near one of your chosen sites!