Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

west european corner: germany-netherlands-belgium-luxembourg

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 11:21 AM
don

On the retourn route from Copenhaguen to Southern Europe, we'll spend a night in the described area, maybe in Köln (Cologne). We'll just have one day left before taking the way again, so we don't know what we should visit: Köln and Bonn? Aachen? Maastricht? Ličge? Trier? Luxembourg? There is so much to see and almost no time!!!

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 11:56 AM
Richard

don, Trier, "Germany's oldest city". Wonderful vestiges of the Roman Empire. German pronunciation"Treer".

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 01:06 PM
Al

Cologne gets the nod. Bonn offers little. Cologne has magnificent Roman artifacts, an enormous cathedral, splendid highway and rail connections, and several marvelous art museums.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 06:40 AM
donconnor

thanks for the responds, our travel would be to arrive at afternoon (+-)to Köln, see the town, sleep somewhere there, and next day take route towards Paris (where we won't stop, have been already), and south from there. On that way, which are the "must-see"s, for just those hours?

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 09:07 AM
Jeff

Just a thought: We have 2x traveled from Germany to Paris. We found that from the Rhine to Paris, the quickest route is through Trier and Lux. If you are still questioning where to go, that might help you make your decision. Also, there was recently a post re: Trier that you may want to follow up on by searching "Trier" or "mosel" those posts may give you other thoughts about getting to Paris via the Mosel and what to do along the way. We had a delightful trip down the Mosel and slept in Trier. There are castles (Burg Eltz, for one) and many towns to stop in to break up the train/car ride. Just a thought.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 06:51 AM
don

So, you think the easiest (or fastest) way from Köln to Paris is via Trier and Luxembourg? I thought it was entering Belgium from Aachen, going to Ličge and crossing the French border later (by the way, I think in French motorways you have to pay, while German, Belgian and not sure in Luxembourg are free.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 10:03 AM
Jeff

Don, I think you are correct, particularly from Koln. In fact, from Koln you may be able to go to Brussels and catch a fast train to Paris and make up more time. However, if you opted to stay farther Southeast along the Rhine (I think, I'm trying to visualize this) and/or were trying to work in Trier, then you may want to consider traveling down the Mosel through Trier and/or Lux to Paris.