Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where is the main airport in the Azores?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Paige

I'm just starting to think about a trip to the Azores so I'd like to check flights, etc. Can anyone tell me what the main airport is? Or do flights land equally on several islands? Thanks.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 06:34 AM
Miriam

Hi Page, <BR> <BR>I think you`ll have the best connections to Ponta Delgada. The Island is called Sao Miguel. I know however that there is an Aiport called Horta on the Island Faial. <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Paige

Thanks, Miriam! Have you been there? I just checked airfares on Travelocity for next Feb and it showed 1500dm! Yikes! Hopefully something cheaper will come along, or I can find a charter flight.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Miriam

Hi Page, <BR> <BR>yes I`ve been there, but 10 years ago... <BR>Have a look into Condor.de or Hapag Lloyd or LTU. Although they`ll try to sell you a package, they are more than glad to fill up their flights with just-fliers. Maybe TAP Air Portugal is cheap, too. <BR>When I was there it was very untouristy and you saw that the poeple had their problems. Sometimes there was no water, the other day no electricity. A lot of products we are used to were expensive, because everything has to be shipped from the mainland. But it was still beautiful and the people were very friendly. <BR> <BR>Go for it I would say <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 02:01 PM
lucia

Paige I'm from Terceira island in the azores there is an airport in lajes also there is a military air base there i haven't been home foe 12 years but the 17 years i leaved there never had proubles with water elect does go out sometimes but comes back the same day. <BR>Airfares are very costly by the way the military base there is also american there is so much to do in the summer from street bullfights to all nite dancing singing food lots of it let me know what you think.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 03:10 PM
Pedro

We flew from Lisbon to Ponta Delgada with TAP, quite cheap and several daily flights, and Ponta Delgada to Terceira-Lajes with SATA-Air Açores. I think TAP is the best option and SATA among islands. I would base in Sao Miguel and visit some other islands as Terceira and Faial/Pico for example but anyone is beautiful. I am certain rural countryside and fishing ports still undiscovered by tourism masses will make you feel you are visiting a special place. In Sao Miguel we did several trips to places like Lagoa do Fogo ( awe inspiring, we did it twice ), Lagoa das Sete Cidades ( also twice since the first one we could not see anything from the caldera rim ), Ilheu de Vila Franca ( relaxing day in an strange volcanic mini-island ), Salto do Cavalo ( wonderful views over central island )or Lagoa das Furnas and Terra Nostra Park ( nice botanical garden and delicious "cozido das Furnas" ). Some nice black sand beaches and viewpoints over the sea as in Caloura or Ponta da Madrugada completed our trip. Terceira has a jewel at Algar do Carvao ( interesting volcanic tube ), the green landscape everywhere and two cities rich in worthy architecture as Angra and Praia da Vitoria where we could see a traditional celebration. Biscoitos´ pools are also a delight for your eyes. I found Terceira to be even less touristy ( Sao Miguel is not a touristy place either ) and the landscapes were also beautiful. We were told that other islands we could not visit as Flores, Pico or Sao Jorge were also wonderful.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 01:54 AM
Paige

Thanks, everyone. This is definitely on my list of places to go. Maybe next year...