Where is "little india"

Jun 20th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Where is "little india"

Can someone please tell me where the "Little India" neighborhood is in London? I know around Slough there are shops, etc., but is there anything closer in London? Is that what Brickyard Lane is?

I'm wondering where the clothing boutiques would be.

thanks.
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:15 AM

Brick Lane is I think little Pakistan and Bangladesh - for a vibrant South Asian community take the Tube to Green Street (Upton Park Tube stop) in East London and turn north right out of the station and you would think you were in any Indian or Pakistani city - the Wembley area is similarly South Asian flavored as is Southall, near Slough. I am sure there are many other South Asian scenes in London but none IMO can be better than Green Street.
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:45 AM

There is also a cluster of South Indian (mainly vegetarian) restaurants around Drummond St near Euston station.
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:49 AM

There absolutely isn't one.

There are a number of neighbourhoods, well outside the centre, with strong regional affiliations, which is why 99.9% of Indian restaurants in the centre are so spectacularly mediocre.

The biggest Indian grouping is Gujeratis, concentrated in unspectacular, but VERY middle class, North London suburbs (always with good Indian shops near the railway or Metropolitan Line tube station): Wembley, Kingsbury, Harrow, Kingsbury Kenton. Generally, use the A-Z or Google Maps to find the *.* High Street or High Road, but walking near the station helps too

In the southern suburbs, there's a major cluster of Sri Lankan/South Indian Tamils and East African Asians (Hindus, Sikhs, Christians and Muslims, born in East Africa of South Asian origin, but expelled by the racist thugs who misgoverned the ex-colonies in the late 60s and early 70s) round Tooting Broadway and Colliers Wood tube stations (in the south, where there are few tube lines, South Asians oddly congregated round them: in the north, where there are lots, they congregated round the railway stations)

Avoid Brick Lane. The Indian-dominated suburbs cater heavily for locals, who tend to be affluent, spectacularly integrated, and heavily Sikh, Christian or Hindu. Their shops have articulate and knowledgeable cusatomers, and their merchants and restaurateurs are delighted to see visitores. Brick Lane's locals are poor, often heavily radicalised, Muslim Bangladeshis and Pakistanis, with a dreadful culture of discouraging English-speaking in women and no tradition of eating out. So Brick Lane's restaurants are for relatively undiscriminating tourists and City workers. Fun, but not worth savouring. Their raw food shops are terrific though for cooking at home.

Upton Park (PQ's Green St) is a more affluent, better integrated, Brick Lane. More Muslim than the southern and northern suburbs, but less resentment, squalor and misogyny.

Southall has probably the most "subcontinental" feel. The McDs advertise halal chicken, the pubs have been Indianned, the skyline is dominated by temple domes (the main Southall Sikh temple is amazing) and gold shops are ten a rupee.

The most spectacular monument though is the Hindu temple just south of IKEA in Neasden, newar the North London clusters
Jun 22nd, 2011, 08:18 AM

The Indian lady I work with goes up to the Brick Lane area a couple of times a year for saris etc.