Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

where in the world would you go with 2 teens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have two teens, 17 and 15, and it looks like we'll have two whole weeks (!!!) in June/July to travel. They get along well and are fairly adventurous. They've been to Italy, Germany, France (briefly), and to the Rockies. They both have had high school French, they like the opportunity to meet other teens. What would be your fantasy trip in this situation?
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Given that you've only been to France briefly and that they are taling high school French, it seems France is a logical place. My two teens took german and where able to both become fluent after trips to Germany. There is nothing like actually using the langauge. I am presently planning a trip to Provence with both kids. Will split the time between the beach (probably Le Lavandou) and inland (Luberon somewhere). The rest of our time will be spent in Meersburg and Baden Baden, so they can use their German language skills. We try to stay in or just outside small towns so the kids have the freedom to wander around on their own without driving. It has worked well.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 08:56 AM

i would put London and Paris (they can practive their language skills) at the top of the list. Lots of stuff in both places to interest a variety of people. I don't know about meeting other teens but if you let them help plan the trip they might come up with stuff that interests other teens.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 08:59 AM

I'd agree that you should visit a French speaking country.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:04 AM

If your teens are adventuresome and get along well, why not consider taking them to Quebec and points east? French-speaking, friendly, much lower in cost, good weather, loaded with history. Doubt it? Look Quebec and New Brunswick up on the internet. You will find loads of things to see and do -- without bankrupting the family.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:40 AM

I'd take them to Morocco. It's a francophone country, it's inexpensive by comparison to Europe, the food is divine, the people friendly, and there's a wealth of things to do and see that would be truly adventurous for two teens.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 10:31 AM

If my teenage daughter wants to go around by herself to a reasonable extent in Paris, I would let her (and I did last week), but I don't know if I would have the same level of comfort letting her go around by herself in Morocco. If the teens want to go around by themselves, either singly or together, you might consider what destinations lend themselves best to that.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 10:55 AM

well, no, you really shouldn't do that. Not to be alarmist, but a friend of a friend's daughter was kidnapped in Morocco walking on the street, I think off a little by herself, and they never saw her again. Childhood labor and abuse, and human trafficking still exists in this world, as well as other bad things, and Morocco is not a good place for those things.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 02:29 PM

How about St Barts? THey could practice their French there. Paris is great for teens but they probably wouldn't meet any other teens there. Check out familytravelforum.com for other ideas for teens. I recently took my two teens to Guatemala and they had a blast. But they speak Spanish there. Other French Caribbean islands could be a possibility too, although it will be rather warm there at that time of year. Also Quebec.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 02:33 PM
nbujic

If the focus of your trip is for your kids to meet other teens , Club Med in a French speaking country may be the place.
In cities, there is very little opportunity to meet anyone.

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Biking through the french countryside? Butterfield and Robinson has trips for families with older teens. Very pricey but I think it would be great. The french they speak in Quebec is very different from what your kids are learning in school, but Montreal's a lot of fun, and they could definitely go out on there own, but they could do that in Paris also.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:21 PM

I would take them to the Hague. Madurodam in the city is great. The beach at Scheveningen is nice. And the water amusement park Duinrel just north of the city is really memorable. The Hague is very bike friendly and not nearly as commercial/touristic as Amsterdam.

To practice French I would go to Geneva and spend some time around Lac Leman.

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:29 PM
dgg

I have two teens myself so I sort of know what you are looking for. My kids enjoy just about anything, but they love urban environments with lots of action around them. If yours are the same, London, Amsterdam & Paris would be great choices. You could easily divide your two weeks among all three. The architecture, food and cultures are different in each city as well.

It sounds as though they've not been to Italy. If that interests you, two weeks would be plenty of time to enjoy the highlights of Italy. If they like more rural spots, let us know and I'll give you some other suggestions.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:31 PM
dgg

One other idea...I know you posted on the Europe board, but Peru is a great place to take the teens. We took our four kids a couple of years ago and they loved it. Machu Picchu alone is worth the trip, but there's plenty more to see.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 12:49 AM

a friend of a friend's daughter...

foaf tales of kidnapping/white slavery have been around for centuries and are rarely true.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 04:45 AM
ira

HI Kim,

With two weeks, I suggest 5 nights in Paris and 8 nights in the Dordogne.

You will need a car.

Old Feb 16th, 2007, 06:31 AM

How about the south of France? The Riviera and maybe the Dordogne. I'm thinking Provence might not be so good for teens. Except maybe Arles and the Pont du Gard. But Nice is great with lots of possible excursions, like the small Train des Pignes back into the mountains, Eze, and in both directions along the coast.

And there are river activities in the Dordogne as well as the caves.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If they like the outdoors I suggest mountain biking in the Jura mountains. (they ride down Mont Blanc) but also they do easier stuff like the Grand Traverse de Jura. Lots of guides up in the mountains other kids, hot food and you can do it too.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 07:41 AM

My teens LOVED Prague - we've been twice. You could fly there from another city in Europe - 4 or 5 nights in Prague would be great.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

thank you all so much - we are looking into the London then France option. renting a car for part isn't a problem. They are interested in Normandy, and D has researched Bayeaux for a school project....
We have considered Quebec, but that "different French" is what has stopped us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -