Where in Scotland?

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 02:21 AM
Cathie

Where in Scotland?

Our mother is coming to visit us in London and would like to spend a few days in Scotland. She has never been to Scotland. However, it will be December and we were wondering where the best place would be? I have heard that the west coast is great.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Danna

Cathie... it depends on what type of trip you would like. I'm a great fan of Galloway, the Southwest. If your mom likes an urban visit with lots of museums and galleries etc, then Glasgow or Edinburgh are the ticket. If she likes to visit the country for the country then Galloway is where it's at, IMHO. Lovely scenery, plenty of sites etc. I haven't been north on the west coast beyond Stranraer, so I can't comment on that. I know it is lovely tho! Wherever you are in Scotland will be lovely, no matter where you land. Have a grand time!

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Sandra

Scotland is one of my favorite places in the world and I have been there five times, all the way from Texas. However, as you say, it will be December. For that reason, I would think that you would want to go to a city, where there are a lot of things to do INDOORS. Scotland will be cold and wet and dark in December, but GO anyway. The most wonderful people live there and their warmth will make it all worthwhile.

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Ed

Scotland only looks like it's going to fall over, it's actually not!

Hasn't anyone else heard of this before? As a child, we used to talk about this all the time in school.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 02:42 AM
PatrickW

Well, Ed, you could try asking a Scot about their football team...or stand on Sauchiehall St on a Saturday night. Plenty of falling over there....

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 04:36 AM
jay

Cathie,
Your info is correct, the west coast is great. Weather in December can be dull wet and cold, but can also be brilliant and sunny, though still cold. Glasgow may be your best bet - easy day trips to the west coast if the weather is good, or shopping and museums etc if the weather is less benevolent. Remember that the daylight has gone by about 1600hrs at this time of year.

Hope your mother enjoys the trip!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Rob

Patrick

That's a very vicious calumny and usually always from an Englishman!

As others have said Scotland may be dark and gloomy in December but the welcome and kindness you will receive there makes it all worthwhile.

I'm with Danna about Galloway and the Borders. In my mind the most beautiful and atmospheric parts of the country, especially in winter time.

R.