Search

Euro

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Paul

Euro

I'm traveling to Germany, France, and Switzerland next month. Are all three countries using the Euro as the standard currency?

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 04:40 AM
CHF

Not Switzerland. They use Swiss Franc.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Ed

Denmark and Britain are EU countries that don't use the Euro. I think Slovenia uses the Euro even though it's not in the EU.<BR><BR>Ecuador uses the US dollar. I think Panama accepts US dollars on a 1:1 basis and ordinary people use US dollars there. In Russia, US dollars are common but not used everyday. In Liberia, they used to use the US dollar but now they use the machine gun and machete.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Rob

Ed,<BR>Slovenia uses Tolar, not Euro. But Montenegro uses Euro even though it's not in the EU.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Paul

Let's see, France and Germany accept the Euro and Switzerland accepts Swiss Franks. How about US dollars? Since the exchange rate is basically 1:1 between the Euro and USD, why even bother to exchange and pay the commission?

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 03:40 PM
xxx

Paul, don't be silly, it's not the same. You will not be able to use US dollars there; also the $ is a bit lower in value to the euro.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 04:12 PM
AG

Paul, consider exchanging money in the black market. You can often get better exchange rates that way. Enjoy your trip!

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Mark

The word Dollar (and Slovene Tolar) comes from Joachimsthal. The Bohemian town is today known as Jachymov, 12 miles northeast of Karlovy Vary/Karlsbad.

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Sue

Just read the posting about not bothering to convert $US into ?! Try handing over $ in Western Europe, and watch for the response. I think you'll find that a trip to the exchange desk is in order.

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 11:56 PM
Hans H

Paul: Since the local merchants don't want to pay the commission either and aren't too fond of having the trouble of converting, they will offer you a bad rate if they accept USD (possible in some really touristy spots). Most people simply won't do it.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:52 AM
EU

Paul, I am planning a trip to USA. I suppose I can use euro there, after all, it is almost the same value as dollar. Why would they mind? Would the waiter say something when I hand him my money?

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 02:36 AM
pedro

Vatican, San Marino and Monaco use the Euro. I far as a (think) I know are the only non EC countries.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 03:50 AM
euro

And Andorra, Kosovo and Montenegro.