Where in Europe do they speak English??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2016, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello I'm British & I live in the UK however I'd like to move to another European country where they speak English. Which European countries besides the UK can I live in if I only speak English??
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 04:19 PM

Look here: http://languageknowledge.eu/languages/english
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 04:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
where you can find a job . . .
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 04:29 PM

While tourists can get by in all of those countries with just english if you are going to live there full time and deal with all of the local shopkeepers and workmen I fear you would have a lot of trouble getting along without a substantial amount of the local language.

Never mind what you would do about a job if you can't speak to all of the locals. Unless you are retired or have a private income.
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 04:44 PM

I was joking . . .

If you meant where English is the official language - there isn't one.

Why not take some classes.

But -- w/ the Britexit vote coming soon -- better hold your horses for a bit (language classes are still a good idea)
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 04:45 PM

(I am curious why a Brit would register to ask here when presumably he could ask any of his mates . . . )
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 04:53 PM

Seriously how can you get along in another country in only english? there is just way too much that is only in the local language:

What about legal documents (apartment lease or house purchase contract)?
What about taxes?
What about local driving test/license?
How will you fill out any necessary forms?
Talk to neighbors?

Oh - and you could go to Ireland - but that's not on your list.
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 05:02 PM

You could go to Gibraltar. Or you could go back to whatever tree you fell out of, troll.
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 05:17 PM

Ireland? Malta?
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 05:21 PM

you live next door to one.
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 06:01 PM

Cyprus.
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 11:44 PM

There are plenty of Britons who live in Europe, in parts of France and Spain in particular, who never learn even the most basic phrases.

I am British and live in the Netherlands. Whilst you could get by most of the time without learning the language there are times it is essential to know it, such as doctors visits, school contacts, official documents, even just making friends.
You could move to the Netherlands and take lessons, just as you could in any country. It is what we did.

To expect to live in a country where in English is not the first language and to never learn the language of the that country is not only self limiting in your enjoyment of your new home, but an incredibly ignorant and arrogant thing to do.
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 11:55 PM

Lots of people who speak English in Italy - and Italian is an easy language to learn (compared to German, for example).
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 12:06 AM

"You could move to the Netherlands and take lessons, just as you could in any country."

But if you moved before the Brexit referendum, you'd be taking a colossally foolish risk.

Mainland Europe will be there after the referendum, and straightforward holidays or quick business trips will be only trivially affected if Britain votes to leave. But, since the most politically influential argument for leaving is immigration control, it's nigh on certain we'll lose our ability to move to the continent long-term the instant we reintroduce Customs officers at Dover.

As long as the current uncertainty remains, the only place in Europe it makes any sense to consider relocating to is Ireland. And even that will become doubtful if Britain votes to leave the EU.

If you want to live somewhere else, check out the rules for moving to Australia, NZ or Canada.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 12:41 AM

all of these scare stories about Breixt. millions of expats already live outside the UK. Loads of EU nationals live in the UK. Agreements will not end over night, if at all. The likes of Norway and Switzerland are good examples of this.
However the OP should ask this question about moving on an Expat forum. They have a better idea of where to move, but all will say you will need some basics of the lingo.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 01:21 AM

>>Seriously how can you get along in another country in only english? there is just way too much that is only in the local language:<<

It is definitely better to learn the local lingo but does not prevent anyone from moving to Denmark or Sweden. I don't speak Swedish and live (part time) in the middle of nowhere in Sweden, not some big city. When I call the local council for something, they speak English. Workmen speak English, the guy at the recycling centre speaks English, the chimney sweep and the oil delivery man speaks English, the ladies that work in systembolaget speaks English, everyone speaks English at the local shops, railway station, petrol station, bakery etc.

It's the same situation in Denmark with English spoken almost everywhere.
Cyprus is another country that is super easy for non Greek speakers to live in, official docs can be translated (not by google).
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 03:01 AM

'but an incredibly ignorant and arrogant thing to do.'

That is what all my British friends say and think. However we keep sepaking english with them ;-)

I was last week with 2 great english friends (here too, I apologize for befriending these arrogant bastards who burned 'la Pucelle' but I can't help myself I like Britain...) and I spoke french to the husband and english with his wife (don't ask why...

On the other hand my neighbour is Scottish, has lived in Belgium for at least 25 years and doesn't speak ONE word of french - cannot even say 'bonjour'. Nobody talks to him - none of us understands english when he is around.

And good luck with officials - don't expect them to be fluent...
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 03:44 AM

"Agreements will not end over night, if at all. "

The Brexit problem isn't the "scare story" Brexiteers claim every time anyone points out their collective delusions about EU withdrawal.

Few people in Britain care about free trade, whatever Boris' definition of sovereignty is this month or whether our legal rights should derive from the British way of doing things or from a European convention.

We're having a Brexit poll because of the pressure the Tory party were suffering from UKIP. And UKIP threatened Tory seats because of widespread fears about uncontrollable, tax-subsidised, EU immigration.

If Brexit wins, it'll be because a majority of voters want to see an end to that immigration: and if we withdraw other EEA states' uncontrolled immigration rights, they will inevitably withdraw our reciprocal right to live and work wherever in the EEA we want.

The poster wants to move to somewhere: not take a brief visit. No-one in their right mind moves anywhere there's a real risk of being deported from in a year or ten.

Few Brexiteers, of course, can appreciate the concept of a sane human being. That's why they scream "scare story" at all arguments they think might undermine their case.

I'd seriously consider voting to leave (I've absolutely no interest in living somewhere with zero economic growth and no proper footpaths) if it weren't for the lamentable level of arguments from the Brexit Bunch.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 04:34 AM

You make a valid point Flanner. I doubt OP could move to somewhere in Europe before June 23rd, but if they did, and they have a job in their chosen country I fully expect that country would just issue a work and residence permit to them. It makes for another layer of bureaucracy it's true, but they wouldn't be kicked out over night because Britain votes to leave, any more that Britain would leave the EU on June 24th, much as Farage would like that. (Off topic I wonder what he will do if Brexit becomes a fact, when he can no longer live off the Euro MP gravy train, and his party becomes obsolete.)

My eldest son could be in a tricky situation being self employed here, but given he has lived here legally for 32 years I can't see the Dutch throwing him, or us, as pensioners, out. The other two sons are gainfully employed, and one is married to a Dutch woman, so should be safe enough. Pensionados in Spain and France might be on trickier ground though.

It is possible to move to another country when you do not speak the language - lets face it millions do every year, but it is advantageous to learn the language of your new country asap.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 05:04 AM

OP it is not only speaking a different language you will have to over come. It also comes down to the skills you have to offer. What are they?
Some countries may require you to do some further education others will also want your certificates translated.
May I add you should not worry about the "Bye Bye Brits issue" because you may think we have a free Europe but those if those skills of yours are not required neither have you obtain any certificates along the way. Free Europe is not for you. Here in Spain in order to register you have to now prove you have an income. No income, no registration, maybe no housing, no job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -