where in austria?

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 07:40 AM
adeleh

where in austria?

We are going to Austria and Swiss next august.We are going to rent a car.We love quint villages, small memorable hotels,breathtaking views of the Alps and lakes.We love to see the locals,and we don't like tourists.Please let me know where you have been that you like to go back and it would be like what we will enjoy. thank you

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 08:12 AM
jbering

Austria - Salzkammergut area (lake region) - St. Wolfgang See, St. Gilgen, Gosau See, Mondsee, Halstatt.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 01:22 PM
Diane

This sounds exactly like what I want to do on MY next trip (hopefully in 2001). Does anyone have any suggestions for specific gasthofs (plural?) and small, charming hotels? Thanks.

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 12:47 AM
Paige

In Switzerland, go to Mürren (south of Interlaken) and stay at a hotel with a view. It's breathtaking! Wengen is also nice but has more tourists and the views aren't as spectacular. I also really liked Bern. The old part of the city is very quaint and fairly quiet and the area is really pretty.

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 06:29 AM
Tom

Am fortunate to have been to Austria four times, and I would suggest the following:

1. Vienna, the people are a bit haughty, but what an absolutley beautiful place. Like one big city park!

2. Salzburg...absolutely breathtaking.

3. Durnstein, take the train and don't waste the time taking the boat from Vienna.

4. Graz is nice if you're in that area, but not worth a special trip.

5. Innisbruck, very pretty little town.

6. Any drive through Tirol. My favorite is from Garmish to Zurich.

Remember, Stiglbrau in Salzburg and Goesser bier in the rest of Austria and you can't go wrong.

Just some thoughts.

Tom

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 03:41 AM
topper

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 04:24 AM
topper