Where do you buy travel clothes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you buy anything specific for travelling, where do you get it? I'm looking for some casual, lightweight pants for Paris in April. I'll probably bring a pair of jeans, although if I can find lighter weight pants that I like I may leave the jeans at home as well. Magellan's was only OK, I'm on the tall side (5'7", not really tall but I think most pants are too short). I like LLBeans and their pants come in a longer inseam.

Long and short sleeve t shirts and a sweater or two should be easy to find.

So many things to think about preparing for a trip!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:26 PM

TravelSmith (some things)
Chadwicks (they have great, inexpensive, nonwrinkly clothes!), and Old Navy
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:37 PM

Unless I were planning a safari or trekking trip, I pack comfortable clothes from my closet.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:10 PM

I took two pair of pants from Chico's. They're a blend of poly, rayon and spandex. Drop waistband w/ loops. The legs were a little more flared than I like so I had my seamstress take them in. Perfectly comfortable yet can be dressed up with the right top at night.

I washed them in Woolite and they were always dry by the next morning (in some cases, with help from the towel warmer or radiator!). And they came out of the suitcase with no wrinkles.

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:21 PM

Talbots makes microfibre pants that are light and do not wrinkle a whole lot, the most recent catalog I received from them had them again this year after a few years' absence. Not sure about the height issue.

Note that April can still be quite cool and even cold in Paris, you may want the heavier things as well. There was a little bit of snow mid-April last year, and chilly temps, not unsual for April. I had gloves and a lined raincoat and was very happy to have them.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:48 PM

I just added two pairs of stretch jeans from Chico's. I pack a lot of Chico's things these days, but I might be a lot older than you. As my cousin says, "Chico's: clothes for women who used to wear zippers." It a riff on my saying: "Chico's: clothes for women who used to be hip."

But I am also taking a pair of Bean jeans that I wear everyday. I think your regular wardrobe will probably be fine, and you can treat yourself to an extra buy or two for the trip.

I would suggest a nightgown in knit silk that can be rinsed in the morning and dries instantly. I also love my blowup hanger for things to dry on.

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 09:23 PM

The most comfortable, best-looking, and practical travel pants I have are the "slim-fit stretch pants" I found at Eddie Bauer (online or catalog). Look in the "bremerton" fit category. Despite their name, they are neither tight nor unusually slim cut. They come in petite, regular, or tall, are perfectly plain (no pockets, no waistband) and have slim leg and a side zip. Cotton with just a bit of spandex for comfort and wrinkle resistance. I've washed them out in the sink, presssed dry in a towel, and they dry overnight. They are dressier than jeans, and lighter weight. Several colors, but for Paris you might just want black.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 09:43 PM

We are still pulling ours together, but have found some at Ex Officio and REI.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 03:54 AM

When I buy "travel clothes" it is because when I travel, I will be doing something very different from my daily home life (hiking, for example). However, for touring, I prefer my regular clothes. If I am just looking for things that I will wear on the trip and then get rid of, I go for the Gap or H&M. They have great solid color tees and nice pants that work well for travel, but are not so expensive that you can't jettison them.

Claire
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

What a lot of great places that I didn't think of - I love Chicos, and Gap and Old Navy, although their pants never fit me well. I'll check out Eddie bauer as well. There is a Talbot's outlet near me, so I'll take a look there.

BTW, Ecco has some of the cutest, most comfortable looking shoes - I'm getting a case of plantar fasciitis, so am trying to take care of it now, before all the walking on the trip. I love zappos for shoes.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 09:36 AM

sierratrading, magellans, travelsmith, exofficio, blair, and if they don't have what you need, simply input on Google

travel clothing

and you get another dozen.

WK
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Kathmandu. But I don't think you have that store in US. It is an antipodean label also sold in London.

Clothes that don't need ironing, dry fast and look styley too. But they do cost a lot.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Chicos! I broke my arm second day 3 week trip in Japan. Had one outfit Chicos...pants,tshirt, jacket(very stretchy) and one outfit Eileen Fisher...pants, tshirt (purple), jacket. Those only clothes (plus underware and p.j.sand down vest for mountains) worn for 3 weeks, could wash in bathroom and hang dry. Wait, I did buy one more teeshirt. All outfits black of course. I had all my other clothes packed and sent to airport for return to US. Will I ever travel so comfortably again..hope so, but not yet.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 11:00 AM

I don;t have special travel clothes - I find my regular casuale things work just fine - with a couple of better outfits for dinner. (I know there are 14,000 threads on walking shoes - but since I live in NYC all my shoes - except evening sandals - have to be practical for walking long distances.)

The only thing I do is change my regular shoulder bag for an expandable Sportsac - so I can carry a bottle of water, guide book, umbie etc. along with all the regular purse stuff.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I take the best of my regular wardrobe in the weekend dressy/casual category. I pick my favorite 4-5 outfits with pieces that might mix, match, and layer, in fabrics that pack well.

I have added a few things from Chicos or TravelSmith. I never take anything brand new (learned that the hard way).
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 12:46 PM

REI, Eddie Bauer, Lands End, Woolrich.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 01:04 PM
mikeycora

My wife buys her's at a resale shop and leaves them nicely folded in the room. The carry on luggage usually becomes a space for breakables.

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 03:14 PM

I just got some great stuff at TJ MAXX. Many of this spring's polyester mix stretchy knit type things are great for travel.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:32 PM

Highly recommend the Baysider twills at LLBean (drip dry fabulously overnight), along with their microfiber travel slacks (a bit more dressy) with zipper pocket. Both are fabulous for traveling.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 07:13 PM

If you are looking for men's clothes, I have had very good luck with travel clothes from REI and Eddie Bauer.

My all-time favorites are shirts made by Ex Officio with a zippered security pocket, and Nano-Care trousers made by Eddie Bauer that are machine washable, can be dried in the dryer, and need no ironing.

Woody

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -