Where do the youngsters go???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, my girlfriend and I are returning from a years travel through SE Asia and Australia, we have been in Tuscany for a few weeks and are now in Mallorca. We would like to stay in Europe for the summer (not the UK as we are from there) and are looking for advice on young fun places, the backpackers route and happening towns that perhaps cater to surfers or climbers or whatever. We are particularly interested in the south of France and would also like to know what the Alps are like in the summer months.

Cheers

Anthony
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 04:20 AM

Well, I would look over on some of Lonely Planet forums. Many of us here are wrinklies, and the hot topics are hotels for less than $300 and first class on the Eurostar. Well, maybe not quite that bad, but not far off.
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

I know Ackislander but thought there may be some expats with a few years under there belts who would know the lay of the land all over...but thanks for your response
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 04:40 AM

I've heard they all go to Barcelona ...
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 06:44 AM

For places with surf culture in the South of France, you'll need to head to the Atlantic coast and Lacanau and Hossegor. From experience (of not that many years ago and apparently they've only got busier since) these are the places to go in the summer months to meet loads of young, fun people into the surf culture, even if they can't surf particularly well (again from experience).

Had a few truly memorable summers spent between the two a few years back watching stages of the World Surfing Championships and hanging out with the pro surfers. Very good times indeed.