Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where can I get Travel Packet for Italy??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 06:39 AM
norena

<BR>Can someone please tell me if there is an internet website or a "correct" telephone number where I can request a travel packet of information for travel to Rome and Southern Italy? I have made 4 phone calls to the Italian Tourist Boards listed for this information (New York, California, and Chicago) and each one directs me to the other and gives me the run-around. Do the Italians not provide such material? <BR> <BR>I have called both numbers for the main office in New York without success. If anyone has been able to get such a packet mailed to them, would you please let me know who you had to contact? Thanks so much for any help and information you can provide. <BR> <BR>BTW, I tried the phone number for NY on Ed's site (Twenj) for Rome but they say they don't do this and gave me another number which said the first number is the one to contact. I have never had so much difficulty getting such information. Thanks.

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 06:43 AM
Ed

In fact the Italian tourist organization has been the most un-helpful of any of the western european countries in my experience. One suspects typical bureaucratism, which the Italians have brought to a high level of developement. <BR> <BR>The number on my site has been used successfully, and unsuccessfully. Hopefully someone else will have one that's more universally useful. <BR> <BR>Ed <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 07:34 AM
Julie

Hi Norena: Get Fodors, Frommers, Lonely Planet, and Eyewitness travel guides and you will have all information you will need to designe your trip. Also do research on this forum. Have a great trip

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 02:01 PM
howard

YOu're right about the Italian Tourist Board. My luck hasn't been much better stopping at the NY office. <BR>You might trip this website: <BR>www.initaly.com <BR>It is a good website to start your research with.

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 02:56 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Norena, Here is all you need--much better info than some packet: <BR>This forum---search prior discussions <BR>Eyewitness Guide--Italy <BR>A Michelin map <BR>www.initaly.com <BR>www.itwg.com <BR>www.venere.it <BR> <BR>Take these 6 ingredients, add about 30 <BR>hours of in depth homework, add your seasoning of choice, and let it all bake <BR>for however long it takes to sink in. <BR> <BR>If this recipe does not work for you, let me know and I will help.

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 03:48 PM
norena

<BR>Thanks folks (as usual) for all the great advice, help, and website info. I was just beginning to wonder if those Italians didn't "want" any visitors!&lt;g Those are great websites you shared and I should have all I need now. <BR> <BR>My problem is, I wanted some information that I don't have the ability to download from my unit and I was hoping it would be included in a packet the Italian Tourist Bureau would send. I'll just go to the library and download what I need. <BR> <BR>Thanks again for all the help!

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 04:25 AM
Maira

The SAME happened to us the first time we went to Italy; called, phoned and begged and got no info from the Italian Tourism Office. Then, I had to go to NYC for a meeting and my husband came along and stop at their office. The wealth of info was overwhelming; he came back with tons of maps, brochures, walking tours, etc. If you know somebody in NYC just tell them to stop by. It was well worth it for us. Totally different from our experience with Spain tourism office; within a week we had an amazing free Travel Packet.