Info on Cornwall?

Nov 30th, 2000, 06:33 AM
Virginia Stanton

Info on Cornwall?

Would like any information on Cornwall. Places to go what to see etc. Any self-catering cottages recommended? Trip would be either in Spring (April-May) or early Sept.

Nov 30th, 2000, 12:08 PM
Brenda Breslin

As far as self catering cottages go Cornwall is full of them and they are found in lots of independant brochures that can be quite hard to track down. Your best bet is to contact the Cornish Tourist board and ask them for help. You will have no shortage of beautiful accomodation to choose from. Places to visit - The whole of the Cornish coastline ia worth seeing from the tip of Lands End upwards. Consider a visit to St. Michaels Mount. It is an Old Monastry on an island and can be reached on foot somtimes. It is wonderful if you have to take the boat across though as the locals take you across on small boats. St. Michaels Mount is in a small village called Marazion. We had a wonderful lunch of beef in ale at the local pub there by a roaring log fire. Almost anywhere you travel in Cornwall is beautiful so take the map and take your pick Newquay, Perranporth, St. Just, St. Ives, Polperro, The Lizzard, Mullion. You can't go wrong with these and many more.

Nov 30th, 2000, 01:11 PM
Thyra

Virginia, Cornwall is one of my favorite places. There is tons to see but some of the highlights have been. As mentioned above, St. Michael's Mont is a lovely day trip, the family still lives there, be sure and take the Audio Tour it's a kick, especially fun is the last section which is the current Baronet of the Mount personally thanking everyone for taking the time to visit his home. Penzance is a really fun town, with some truly lovely people, though the Pirate thing is done a bit cheesy actually the Cornish coast was quite a hot bed of Piracy during the Napoleonic wars. There is a delightful quaint town calle Mousehole which can be fun for a tea stop. Tintangel the alleged birth place of King Arthur is quite a dramatic medieval ruin an well worth a day trip, especially if you've read the Mary Stewart Merlin triology! There are also many wonderful Bronze age stone structures that you need a car to get to. One in particular the "Dance of the Merry Maidens, or Dance of the 12 Maidens" which legend has it was are all that remains of 12 young girls who decided to dance on the Sabbath. The nice thing about all these Celtic and Pre-Celtic momuments and Dolmans is that they are right out there by the side of the road... you just drive up, chances are you are the only person there.. wander around and get a feeling for the place. They have a lot of great, locally published guide books of country walks and paths that you can take from sight to sight, it helps since some of the monoliths are off the beaten path. St. Ives is also a wonderful town know for health spa's and that type of thing. Spring is also a great time to visit Cornwall, just be aware that a great many people from the North of the UK go to Cornwall on their spring/Bank holiday's be sure you are not there during one of those times. Then the great thing about Cornwall is of course Cider and Pasties... I have learned to love Vegetarian Pasties but my hubby is a die-hard carnivore and he loves them too, the original "fast food" I have a bunch of books from this area at home if you are intersted email me and I can give you more information.

Nov 30th, 2000, 02:46 PM
Jane

cornwall is not one of my favorite places in England - but I think we would have enjoyed it more if we had stayed on the northern side rather than the southern side. We hiked the Coastal path from Mevagissey to Penzance and it was beautiful in some places but really, really bad in others. Weeds over our heads for miles. Very tiring and disappointing. I've visited a few places on the northern coast and think it is probably much better.

Dec 1st, 2000, 06:19 AM
elaine

I got the following info from this forum, I have not traveled there.
from London: 200 miles, about an 8 hour drive. Britrail from London Paddington, 3 hours by express train. Major car rentals available in Plymouth and Truro, local firms operate out of Penzance.
Lodging in Penzance: Lombard House, 16 Regent Terrace, Penzance, TR184DW
phone/fax 01736 64897 B&B, with ensuite bath and breakfast. Also, Warwick House, 17 Regent Terrace, Penzance, TR184DW, phone 10736 36881.
www.cornwallonline.co.uk
Cornwall tourist board phone 01872 74057

Dec 1st, 2000, 09:34 PM
julie

Just returned from Cornwall...had a wonderful time, altho the weather was crummy. Please e=mail me direct if there is anythink particular you would like to know. Also will send some good info sights.

Dec 3rd, 2000, 05:46 AM
Gordon R

Hi Virginia,

Check out Cornish Cottage Holidays (www.cornishcottageholidays.co.uk, tel +44 1326 573808). They have a great brochure. We used them a cuple of years back and rented a wonderful 300 year old cottage at Tregarne on the Lizard peninsula. Despite its age, it was beautifully furnished and equipped with TV and fully equipped kitchen.

Cornwall is a big place and the rural roads (and pace of life) are slow, so don't expect to cover everything in one trip. I'd personally avoid the big towns like Newquay and Penzance and go for a small village near the coast. Try somewhere in the Lizard peninsula, the Padstow area, or near Looe.