HELP! Which Hotel to Stay In

Nov 30th, 2000, 12:06 PM
Tracy

HELP! Which Hotel to Stay In

I have a few hotels on hold and I'm not sure which is the best choice. I wanted to stay in St. Moritz but everything is sold out so I booked something at these locations which had availability:
Victoria-Jungfrau - Interlaken
Lausanne Palace & Spa - Lausanne
Le Montreux Palace - Montreux
Can anyone tell me which hotel is the most luxurious out of these three, which town is the prettiest in your opinion.

Nov 30th, 2000, 12:16 PM
Patrick

I would rate Montreaux the prettiest with Lausanne a fairly close second (but it is really a little more of a "city"). On a scale of prettiness if Montreaux is a 9 and Lausanne is an 8, then Interlaken would be about a 2. It is really not a "pretty" or quaint town in my opinion, more of a bustling place for a lot of tourist hotels to hold groups going to all the nearby beautiful towns. Can't speak about the three hotels, except that I do know the Victoria Jungfrau is quite an elegant place and have seen the public rooms, quite lovely. If you have a view room and the weather is clear you may get a perfectly framed view of the Jungfrau rising up between the other mountains.

Dec 1st, 2000, 12:49 PM
Tracy

Thanks for the response Patrick. I think this will help to narrow my decision down, leaning to Montreux. If anyone else has any more input to add or if you have stayed at the Montreux Palace please let me know what you thought of the place (or any of the other hotels). Thanks.

Dec 1st, 2000, 03:25 PM
s

Tracy,
I've never stayed at the Montreux Palace, but I've had dinner there. Like Patrick, I consider Montreux prettier than Lausanne or Interlaken; in fact, I've returned to Montreux several times in the past four years because I think it's so charming. I've posted (repeatedly ! ! !) a list of activities for Montreux -- if you can't find it with a search, feel free to e-mail me.

s

Dec 1st, 2000, 04:07 PM
Tracy

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look up your comments.

If anyone else has any more comments on these hotels, towns,they would be greatly appreciated. One question, it seems as if St. Moritz is the only town that has no hotel availability, could someone tell me what is so special about it? Is Montreux just as lovely of a town? Thank you.

Dec 2nd, 2000, 06:09 AM
s

Tracy,
When are you going? St. Moritz is a winter-resort town, so it may be bustling in the skiing months. In contrast, Montreux is more of a warm-weather town; it is at its best when the flowers by the lake are blooming and the various festivals (wine fest, jazz fest, classical music fest, etc) are going on. You must get hotel reservations months ahead for Jul/August/September, but it's virtually empty Nov - Mar. You may also want to check the calendars for each town; maybe St. Moritz is hosting a convention.

Are you looking for a mountain-pretty town? If that's so, Montreux may not be for you as it's about 1 1/2 - 2 hours from the mountains by train. In this case, you may want to check out Gstaad (they have a 5-star hotel; if you can't find it, e-mail me) or Grindelwald (their 5-star hotel is called Hotel Regina -- not to be confused with Wengen's classy 4-star Hotel Regina). But, again, these mountain villages fill up quickly in the winter months.

Please e-mail me if you get stuck in your research.

s

Dec 3rd, 2000, 07:18 AM
mary

We have stayed at the Montreux Palace three times, and enjoyed it very much. Once we were not happy with the size of the bedroom, and asked if there was something else available. They moved us to a larger room with a small balcony. It is a very elegant, "old-world" charming hotel, and the staff very pleasant. We find there are lots of interesting day trips to make from Montreaux including Evian, Gruyeres, etc.