Reload this Page >

Where can I get drunk in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 02:26 PM
wally

Are there any good pubs to get drunk with the locals?

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 02:49 PM
Al Joer

Well, first of all I must say are you deeply depressed? You should get professional help! Fast! Stay on the plane and drink yourself mad! Spare us the pity!

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 05:52 PM
frodo

Wally by name and Wally by nature.

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 02:27 PM
N. Clarke

Almost anywhere, but be prepared to get arrested and spend the night in a cell!

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 08:08 AM
Ben Haines

The best nights are Friday and Saturday. <BR> <BR>I think the answer comes in two parts. Quite the most convenient place to get drunk is in the nearest pub to wherever you are sleeping. You thus get home whatever state you're in. It's kind to your hostel or hotel keeper to tell him or her of your plans before you start the evening. <BR> <BR>But most rooms are in tourist areas, not in places with plenty of Londoners. To join them for a good evening you'll probably need to take a bus or tube three or four miles out of town from where you're staying. This time you tell both your host before you leave and the pub landlord what you have in mind, and ask for a card in order to phone a minicab service, which you'll need to get you home (for about six pounds). Indeed, to really drop all worries, at the start of the evening you can hand the landlord the cost of a minicab, and ask him to phone for one at the right moment. Under English law, he has anyway the duty to ask you to leave if he judges that you are drunk and incompetent, so it's a good start to the evening to set him up to say a friendly goodbye. If a police officer sees you plainly incompetent walking the pavement he can jail you for the night, but the walk to and from the minicab will be too short for this to be a risk. <BR> <BR>You are highly vulnerable that night, so should leave passport, tickets, credit cards, and tomorrow's money in your hotel or hostel, with the reception staff. <BR> <BR>If you know where you'll be staying I'll see whether I know a lively sort of a place. <BR> <BR>Welcome to London, a city of very various pleasures. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 03:16 PM
Ben Haines

<BR>I've just und a web site that may be of use to you. It is <BR> <BR>http://www.thisislondon.com/html/foo...op_direct.html <BR> <BR>Ben Hains

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 12:31 AM
MollyDonnelly

I think the question is...Where can't you get drunk in London???

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 09:35 AM
Ben Haines

The Athenaeum Club ? St Paul's Cathedral ? <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 03:43 PM
Ed Howell

Why on earth would you want to go to London just to get drunk? You can save yourself a lot of money and stay home and accomplish the same thing.

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 11:58 PM
Ben Haines

For the company ? <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 02:17 AM
Molly Donnelly

Because you can???

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 05:09 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Because it's far better to get drunk on real ale than it is on Miller Lite?

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 05:38 AM
Jo

Because it would help to meet some locals, and immerse ones self more into some of the local life. And also perhaps get brilliant tips on local things to do which are well off the tourist path. <BR>