Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to do a day trip to Cinque Terre from Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 09:54 PM
suellyn

We will be ending our 3 week france/italy vaction in Florence -probably staying there for five days. We 're trying to figure out great day trips (one or two), but want to choose wisely, of course. We will be staying in Siena prior to arriving in Florence. We've read so much about Cinque Terre, but don't know if it's too much to do in a day. How about Lucca? San Gimignano? Arezzo? We'd welcome any suggestions!

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 07:19 AM
dAWN

iT IS POSSIBLE FROM fLORENCE, the trip from Florence will take every bit of an hour and a half, and maybe a bit more. It is an incredible place, but my suggestion if you want to go would be to get up early, and get on the road. There are 5 basic towns in the Cinque Terre, I doubt you will be able to see them all, but depending on the shape you're in, is possible. I would suggest just concentrating on 2 towns or so, and really enjoy them. Arrezzo is a cute little town ( I guess it's not that little)but it does not have the spectacular scenary of the Cinque Terre. I enjoyed San Gimingano, but depending on when you go, can get very crowded. Lucca is a charming city that you can get lost in for hours.

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 09:15 AM
Paulo

Are you driving or taking public transortation, Suellyn? <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 11:05 AM
Paulo

Anyways, Lucca and Arezzo (train) and San G. (bus) are conveniently reachable from Florence. You may, for instance, take the 8:45am train to Lucca or the 9:09am train to Arezzo, arriving respectively at 9:55am and 9:38am. There are plenty of trains to take you back. You may take the 8:30am SITA bus to San G., arriving at 9:50am. There are buses back to Florence every couple of hours or so, the last one at 8:10pm, arriving in Florence at 9:50pm (if still in effect). <BR> To the Cinque Terre, things are a bit awkward. The one way journey takes from 2 1/2 to 3 hours, depending on the train you get (to/from Monterosso and/or Riomaggiore you need to change only in Pisa ... to/from Manarola, Corniglia and Vernazza you'll have to change also in La Spezia, and the journey is longer). Though possible, you would spend almost half of your day-trip on trains. You may take the 8:30am train, change in Pisa and La Spezia and get to Manrola at 11:31am or Corniglia at 1:34am. After hiking to Monterosso (with a stop in Vernazza), you may take the 5:48pm (or 7:14pm) train back to Florence, arriving at 8:14pm (or 9:46pm). With a car things would be a bit better but still somewhat awkward. You may drive to Riomaggiore and park. After your hike, you may take a train back to your car. The car journey should take just under 2 hours ... you may have difficulty in finding a place to park, though. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>PS. If you have a car, you may consider visiting San G. when driving from Siena to Florence. In case you consider Pisa for a day trip, there are plenty of trains from Florence and the journey takes about an hour. There ar also frquent trains from Pisa to Lucca, the journey taking about 25 minutes. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 05:54 PM
Suellyn

Thanks for your advice, Dawn and Paulo. <BR>We are not going to rent a car, and will be relying on public transportaion. <BR>Sounds like a couple of day trips to Lucca, Arezzo of San G. might be a bit easier and just as lovley!

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 11:32 PM
David Slon

If miss Cinque Terre, you will regret it. It is an easy 1 day trip via the train. The hike between the towns is spectacular.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 06:46 AM
Byrd

Paulo- Is the train station in Lucca located so that we could easily stop for several hours on the way from Florence to Monterosso? I know that's not very long, but after reading so many wonderful things about Lucca, it would be hard to pass through without stopping!