Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where can I get an early dinner near the Opera in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't have to be fancy. Preferably someplace that it doesn't take a couple of hours to eat. I've read about Ristorante del Giglio here, and they have a very nice website, but nowhere on the site does it tell their opening hours. I emailed them a couple of weeks ago to see what time they opened and whether I could be done eating by around 7:45, but have not received a response.

I was thinking of going to Santa Maria Maggiore first, since it's so close to the Opera, then getting a quick and early dinner. The performance starts at 8:30, but I will need time to get in there, pick up my ticket, find the seat. etc., which is why I wanted to be done eating by around 7:45. Any ideas?
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 09:11 AM

I'm working from a Web map of Rome, so this may not be quite right, but via Cavour seems to be in the same general neighborhood.

There's an enoteca called Cavour 313 (located, logically enough, at via Cavour 313), where you can probably have just a few light things with a glass or two of wine. I think it has a Web site, but it's also mentioned in a lot of other places, so you can probably Google for it and find its hours on one of the Web pages.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Eloise, Thanks, that type of place sounds perfect, but one web page says it opens at 8:00 and another says 7:30 and says that it's at the Forum end of Via Cavour. I was hoping to find something closer than that, but I appreciate the suggestion.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 10:08 AM

I think your best bet is a post-theatre dinner..I mean, before 8 PM I don't think it is easy to find a place to have dinner..You won't have any problem later.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 10:27 AM
KT

Are you looking for a real sit-down dinner, or just something to fuel you through the evening? If it really doesn't have to be fancy, there's a decent self-service (I forget whether it's Brek or Ciao or what) in Termini, and there are a number of snack bar type places where you can eat early around that area. There's a good rosticceria a bit south of Sta. Maria Maggiore--or at least, there was several years ago--but I can't recall exactly where or its name! (I'll try to remember to look it up.)
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input.

kenderina, Post-theatre is out, as I have a midnight curfew at the convent where I'm staying. And although I don't mind eating late, I really don't want to eat THAT late!

KT, No, it doesn't have to be a sit-down dinner, and I think that will be more difficult to find early. While I'm not crazy about eating in Termini, a snack-type place in the area would be OK.

I also did a google search and came up with the Star Metropole Hotel, practically across the street from the Opera. I thought maybe a hotel would serve earlier, or maybe I could get a light meal at the bar there. I've emailed them to ask, so I'll see what they say.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:44 PM

Sorry I don't have any answers for you. But I was interested in where & how you arranged opera tickets. I will be in Rome in a few weeks and wanted to see an opera.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

majmaj4, I purchased my tickets through www.charta.it, which I found out about on slowtrav.com. You can click on English in the upper right-hand corner, then go through and choose your venue and it will show you what is available. Good luck! I got my ticket several months ago for the end of Sept, and at that point, there weren't a lot of seats left. Hope you find something that interests you.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 02:59 AM

Usually restaurants in Rome open by 7:15-7:30 though people start trickling in after 8-8:30. there are lots of taverna type restaurants that are open all day so I dont think you should have any trouble finding a meal.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 03:57 AM
rfb

I am almost certain that they open around 7:00 pm but I can't guarantee it. I remember that the first time I ate there it was relatively early.
Have you tried making an online reservation? It's a nice restaurant with good food, great service and fairly reasonable prices. Their grilled veal chop is excellent.

Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

rfb, Which restaurant are you referring to?

I did hear back from the Metropole. They said I wouldn't be able to eat before 7:45 in the restaurant but could get something at their snackbar.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 07:58 AM
rfb

Susan,

I was referring to Ristorante del Giglio. It's directly across the street from the opera. I know I've eaten there early but am not certain just how early. They do offer on line reservations but I've never tried to use them.

I checked and the only receipts I can find are from last February and it was 21.35 when we left which would indicate we started eating around 20.00 and the restaurant was nearly filled when we got there. Sorry I cant be more help.

Old Jul 24th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, rfb, maybe your report was the one I read about Giglio. The only problem, which still remains, is that it took you 1-1/2 hours to eat, not unreasonable, but too long for me if they open at 7:00. I may just look around when I get to the area and see if there's a small place open that wouldn't take too long.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Hi SusanP,

Just came back from Rome, and lived near the Opera house you speak of in Rome.

Although I never ate near my hotel (Mondial), I passed by a few cute restaurants on my way there from the Termini. The street I'm thinking about is Via Viminale, which had 2 restaurants, both of which looked delicious. I'm sorry I didn't have more time, but would definitely have eaten at one of them otherwise.

Have a wonderful time in Rome.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 12:01 PM

How about the restaurant TARGET on Via Torino(about 50 feet from Via Nationalze)? It opens with the first seating at 700PM and you can get everything from a quick pizza(wood oven) to the best pesto pasta or fresh fish. It is 5 minutes from the Opera I believe if you were walking and I would be happy to get the phone number if you are interested.Actually they have a website along with a store across the street from the restaurant that sells the wine and olive oil. Rick Steves even mentions it in his book and although I am not a big fan of his-it really is fabulous food!
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

mcnyc & dutyfree, Those both sound like good possibilities. I'll put them on my list. Thanks so much!