Reload this Page >

Where are you going this Summer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Judy

On" Grab Bag" Forum,Fodor's editors posted this thread. How about everyone on Europe Forun, care to share your Summer travel plans? <BR> <BR>Let's hear it!

Old May 5th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Judy

HI JUDY! Nice question from a wonderfully named woman! We are going to Sarasota/Ft. Meyers area for a week May 12, to scout out possible retirement homes(hope). In August, we are going to Scotland and Ireland for 2 weeks. I can not wait to go! Where are you going? Judy

Old May 5th, 2001, 11:36 AM
wendy

Next week Paris and Normandy, the week after Panama City Florida to go deep-sea fishing, Paris again in August and September Corsica! Anyone else?

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Judy

Hi Judy, I meant to say homes to retire to, not retirement homes! Gadzooks we're not that old! <BR>Wendy: Panama City Beach and Paris what a combo.... no way can Paris compare to PCB, PCB is much classier <BR> &lt;g&gt; Judy ;-0

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:17 PM
Jon

I want Wendy's life. <BR> <BR>I have to save my vacation time for southern Italy in November. <BR>j. <BR> <BR>

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:17 PM
Judy

Judy & Wendy: <BR>So many wonderful places to go! How I am envious of you two! <BR> <BR>It is very pleasant here on Lake Ontario in the Summer,so ,I will probably stay at home in July and August.Besides,usually I have lots visitors in this two months, almost like running a B & B. <BR>Thanks to Mr.Haines's help,if nothing went wrong, I will go to Somerset for couple days to attend a changing bell ringing contest at the end of June.

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Judy

<BR>Judy:-0 : <BR> <BR>I have been thinking of early retirement too , please do tell us the result of your research: where is the best place to retire?

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Being a rather cheap -- I mean "THRIFTY" person , I do the European trips in the off-season. The last four summers, we've been more inclined to our friendly neighbors to the North, Canada. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to escape crowds and high costs, but still enjoy a lovely vacation experience without giving up a thing. The favorable exchange rate is a real godsend for your budget and you can enjoy a top-shelf experience for a very reasonable price. The Canadian Rockies are fabulously beautiful and far less crowded than similar destinations in the U.S. (Base out of Calgary if you don't want to pay Banff prices. Try Jasper if you want the experience of staying in a mountain town). Last summer, we took in the Tall Ships in Halifax, Nova Scotia as they pushed off for the last leg of their race to Amsterdam -- what an awesome sight as the "Parade of Sail" coursed through the Halifax Harbour on its way to the sea. Halifax is a lovely city filled with friendly people, creative buskers along the waterfront and fun pubs to visit. This year, we're looking forward to being in Ottawa for Canada Day festivities. Ottawa is great place to visit; built on a wonderfully walkable, very human scale, with many interesting, stately places places to visit, cultural attractions, etc. It is a highly undersold destination compared to, say, Quebec City. Because we choose prime times and use some of our miles for our tickets to these summer respites, we generally conclude our planning and booking by late fall or early winter. If you want to have fun in the summer without breaking the bank, give Canada a look -- it is at at its very best then -- and head back to Europe after the masses make their exodus. Happy Trails!

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:45 PM
Capo

Jon, *LOL*, yeah, I'd like Wendy's life too. (Well, I could pass on Panama City...but I'd gladly take Paris, Normandy, & Corsica.) <BR> <BR>Just a trip back to the Twin Cities to visit my parents & wonderful nieces & nephews this summer...and a long-weekend jaunt up to Victoria, B.C. for the second annual Rootsfest music festival, on the gorgeous grounds of Hantley Castle, overlooking the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the Olympic Mountains. <BR> <BR>My girlfriend were hoping to do a Barcelona-to-Roma trip, by car, this fall but we may have postpone it until next spring or next fall. <BR> <BR>In the meantime, like Jon, I'll just dream of Wendy's life... :~) <BR> <BR>

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Amy

First a week in June in Corolla, (Outer Banks in North Carolina) then two weeks in Sintra, Portugal (July) and possibly Iceland in August. I can't wait!

Old May 5th, 2001, 02:03 PM
Randall Smith

Ok here is our tentitive itinerary, <BR> <BR>To Paris on July 5th to pick up our car. Then to Alsace the some day. Will stay in Alsace for several days and hopefully dine at the Auberge de l'Ill, I emailed them for reservations today but haven't as yet recieved a confermation. From there we have a wedding in the Dordogne, and will need to be in the Castlenau area for the wedding on the 10th. We will then head back to the Var to stay with our freinds who just bought a 350 year old home in Cotignac. We will probably stay over or miander our way back to Paris. The newly weds will be spending 7 days in our apartment in the Latin Quarter, and we will arrive in Paris on the 19th or 20th to get our car back and spend 4 or 5 days in our apartment ourselves. We plan on enjoying a few evenings with friends in Paris, and then back to Indy. <BR> <BR>Ciao, <BR> <BR>Randall Smith

Old May 5th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Lisa

At the end of the summer we'll have to have a thread titled "What I did on my summer vacation". <BR> <BR>We will be in Europe for almost a month. Start off in Brussels, then to Istanbul to pick up a 12 day Mediterranean cruise but will spend a few days in Istanbul prior to the cruise. The cruise includes the stops, Kusadasi, Cyprus, Alexandria, Athens, Naples, Rome, Villefranche, and ends in Barcelona. We spend a couple of nights in Barcelona then on to Avignon, 4 nights in Les Baux, 5 nights in Paris, back to Brussels and home. <BR> <BR>My kids go to overnight camp for 2 weeks at which point I will curl up into a miserable, catatonic state (never been without them for that long.) So my loved one will have to drag me out of my misery by taking me away for the weekend somewhere. <BR> <BR>Then we go to the beach for a week. <BR> <BR>So I have been diligently researching this board for 4 months. <BR> <BR>Now we have just booked a weekend for Niagara Falls and Toronto so I will have to throw myself on the mercy of the American/Canadian board contributors for where to stay and what to do there. <BR> <BR>And all the while, I'll be wearing my Fodors pin, my non-white sneakers, and black clothing while trying to avoid lines at the Vatican museum,pickpockets eveywhere else and getting my bottom pinched. <BR> <BR>

Old May 5th, 2001, 03:51 PM
kam

Driving south in CA through Sta. Barbara wine country for a graduation in L.A.in June, down to Carmel to stay with friends in July, then Northumberland in late August/early September and Hong Kong in early October and up to the Sonoma/Mendocino coast in late October before the rain starts. In between we will host the tons of houseguests that we get here in No. CA in the summer. We are at that point in our lives that we'd much rather travel than work!

Old May 5th, 2001, 05:54 PM
dan woodlief

This summer, I will probably only go to the beaches of North Carolina with my daughter 2-3 times (I shouldn't say only though because I have a ball with her) and maybe to Charleston, SC again for a weekend or so. I will spend much of the summer planning an October trip to Italy. Yes, it looks like I might finally get to that country this year. I am having major Europe withdrawal.

Old May 5th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Betsy

Hey Dan, We'll be in Italy in October too. Will you be sporting a Fodors pin in your lapel? Should we try get a group of travelling Fodorites together over there for a glass or two of vino?

Old May 5th, 2001, 06:14 PM
Linda

For me, Sedona in July, and maybe a long weekend in San Francisco. Then in October visiting friends in eastern Pennsylvania. And in November, Spain. Can't wait!!!!

Old May 5th, 2001, 06:18 PM
glamgirl

Hello all-- <BR> <BR>I'm so excited about this upcoming summer: <BR> <BR>end of May is Mexico (Cancun, Cozumel) <BR> <BR>1st week of July is Spain (Barcelona, Ibiza) <BR> <BR>3 weeks of August is Greece (EVERYWHERE!) <BR> <BR>happy travelling to everyone!! gg.

Old May 5th, 2001, 06:44 PM
Peggy

We headed for Prague next Thursday and then on to Berlin - that is if Lufthansa doesn't go on a long strike.

Old May 5th, 2001, 06:47 PM
Mel

Dan: I hear you--I'm having major "Europe" withdrawel, as well. First year in a long time I won't be going (which probably explains why I'm on this site so often these days...getting a "fix.") Going to The Greenbrier in August and Disneyworld in early November. I'm looking forward to the UK and France next March.

Old May 5th, 2001, 09:09 PM
Cheryl

We recently returned from Hawaii, cruising the islands and spending time at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Honolulu. Heading to Bermuda next month and finally a Med cruise followed by a Trans-Atlantic returning home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -