Where Antwerp Cruise Ships Dock, how far from Centraa Train Station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving in Antwerp on a GCT cruise ship (around 4:00 a.m.) mid October. We need to leave our tour group and take a train from Antwerpen Centraa station to Brussels Midi and then to Brussels airport to catch a plane (3:00 pm flight). I am wondering if someone knows where the cruise ships dock and how far that would be from the train station.

We have to arrange our own transportation and am just wondering if we would have enough time to do some sightseeing before having to catch the train. If so, we would need to return to the cruise ship to pick up our luggage before heading out. Another option would be if the train station has a place to hold luggage (safely) we could go there first, buy our ticket and store our luggage for a couple of hours. I believe we have to be at the airport 2 hours early.

Anyone have ideas on how this could work? Much appreciate any advise!
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 11:27 PM

Hi Ediee, you'll have to check with the cruise company to make sure, but I always see cruise ships docking right in the centre of town, steps away from the old town. Central Station would be a 15 minute walk from there. What day are you arriving? Saturdays and Sundays there's a market that starts very early.

There is a bus from Antwerp that goes straight to Brussels Airport; they are near the central station. I think that would be easier than taking a train to Brussels, then changing for the airport.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 01:00 PM

The cruise ships that dock right in the centre are the ocean cruisers. I believe GCT is a river cruise. They usually dock in one of the smaller docks at 't Eilandje (Bonapartedok).
It's a fair walk to the central station but it's not too far to the historical centre (10-15 min.). Maybe you can leave your luggage at the ship and pick it up later. Then take a taxi to the station to take either the train or the Brussels Airport Express bus (which, IMO, is much easier).