When to visit London around Xmas?

Sep 4th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

When to visit London around Xmas?

Hi. My family is planning a 6-day family trip to London around Christmas because my sister will be studying there this fall and to celebrate my graduation. My parents are hoping for a festive family celebration but I have been reading that London is really quiet on 25 & 26. My parents are not much of a walker (bus tours OK), and I don't want to be stuck in our hotel rooms playing cards for half my stay. Should we plan to go mid Dec. and leave before Christmas then? Thanks.
Sep 4th, 2003, 02:50 PM

Hi
Both Christmas Day and the 26th are holidays as you mention.
You could on Xmas day: attend services in a beautiful church with a sung service;
have a fabulous Christmas dinner somewhere (some places will be closed, hotel restaurants will almost all be open, but book in advance).

Here's a link to one company that provided tours on both days last year, you could inquire about their schedule for this year

http://www.london-tours.demon.co.uk/...xmas_tours.htm
Sep 4th, 2003, 02:57 PM

Christmas services are wonderful - but transport etc IS pretty difficult on Christmas Day - less so on Boxing Day but most things are still closed.

If it were me on a first trip I'd probably leave the States on the 26th or 27th (you'd arrive the following day) and return on Jan. 1 or 2. There is a nice New Years parade in London. You could celebrate Christmas at home and New Years in London w/ your sister. Many things are closed on Jan 1 but it is not nearly as difficult for travelers as Dec 25.
Sep 4th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately I can't go after Christmas because I have a wedding to go to on New Years Eve back home. Is it still worth it if I leave before Xmas?
Sep 4th, 2003, 07:01 PM

If possible, visiting London in early- mid December would be most enjoyable.

Shops,streets,many buildings and the Thames will be all light up. People are bustling around for shopping. All services and attractions are in full swing. Many churches offer carol services and Christmas concerts. The whole town is so very alive and festive.

I have visited London in early December two years in roll,plan to do it again this year.
Sep 4th, 2003, 09:23 PM

Oh, sure. I just thought you wanted to be there over the holidays. Before Christmas is MUCH better. Go a week or more before Christmas and you will be there for all the ice skating rinks, holiday concerts, Christmas decorations, Pantomimes, Plus all the tourist attractions will be open.