When to purchase train tickets

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling by train from Frankfurt to Hamburg, spending several days; then going from Hamburg to Berlin for a few days. Then, we will returning from Berlin to Frankfurt. We are traveling June 24-July 5. I have been playing around on the Bahn site. I realize that the fares for my trip will not be released until 90 days prior to travel. In order to "get" the special low fares, do I have to begin searching at midnight as soon as the 90 days out time frame is valid? Is prepurchasing the best way to purchase tickets? If we don't prepurchase, will the tickets be more expensive when we arrive at the train station? What is the best strategy?

Thanks!
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 01:14 PM

Elaine,

Why are you traveling by train? Air would be faster, easier and cheaper. Espically between the major cities you are traveling to. You could book all your trips on-line before you go. Just curious.

Greg
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 01:19 PM
ira

Hi e,

The lowest fares are the specials on bahn de.

You might not get them immediately.

If not, see if they are still there as late as 30 days ahead.

You can always buy your tickets in Germany.

Check www.whichbudget.com if you don't have a lot of luggage.

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 01:26 PM

elaine,

I don't agree that a plane is better for your travel plans - especially for Hamburg to Berlin.

I did a similar trip this summer going from Dusseldorf to Hamburg, Hamburg to Leipzig, and then Leipzig to Cologne by train. It was a relaxing way to travel.

I made reservations 2 months in advance and was able to get the "cheaper" rates without any trouble. (Usually 39 euros per segment I believe.) I doubt you would have to jump on the tickets at midnight on the first day they are available - but the most desireable times and routes might be limited.

If you wait to buy the tickets at the station, they will be significantly more expensive.

The special rates are non-refundable, and are restricted to specific trains - so options are limited.

I also purchased reservations at the same time I bought the tickets, and was glad I did.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:08 PM

ICE (Inter City Express) trains do Hamburg-Berlin in 1 hour 36 minutes, city centre to city centre, so it's much quicker than flying.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 03:15 AM

>Why are you traveling by train? Air would be faster, easier and cheaper. Espically between the major cities you are traveling to.

Greg, are you serious? Have you flown Hambirg-Berlin lately? Or even Frankfurt to Hamburg? The train is a faster and more comfortable option, and with pre-purchasing a cheaper option too - after all you donīt pay the walk-up fares when you fly, too.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 04:00 AM

Greg, ever heard of ecology, pollution and global warming?
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 04:22 AM

I'm not sure all those fares are released 90 days out..but certainly by 60.

If you need to buy early I suggest you consider doing it with the Bahn site directly.

In some cases you don't even have to register and can still print out tickets on your home printer.

Many times I've had tickets mailed and the site is totally reliable and efficient. I've even dealt with a refund issue when we missed a connection and had to sit in second class with tickets purchased for first..by mail and again, wonderful service.

And if you doi use the site I am not certain you need to start at the 90 or 60-day out timeframe AT MIDNIGHT (their time) to get some of the special fares...but you wouldn;t have to stay up as late what with the time difference.

Good luck and yes, I do think it is better than flying, especially Hamburg to Berlin.