Reload this Page >

When is the Harrods sales in January?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 03:48 PM
sally

I will be in London between the 12th and 17th Of January and would like to know if the Harrods sales are around that time.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Chris

Don't know about January, but I will be there next month and was wondering if it was worth a look. Am I going to be impressed if I've been to Macy's New York and/or similar stores here in the U.S.? Maybe I'll just run in for an hour so I am satisfied! Shouldn't take more than that I hope...

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:04 PM
John G

As some of my relatives live in London, I remember the Harrod's January Sale to start around the 3rd of the month. By the time you get there, Sally, everything will be picked over. Believe me when I tell you that thousands of people stake out merchandise weeks before the sale and have their running shoes on the morning the store opens for the first day of the sale. My Aunt Pat is one of these people and she looks like a horse at Ascot running for those Manolo Blahniks in the shoe department. Don't get in her way!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Jen

I don't think Macy's in NY can hold a candle to Harrods. Only an hour???? That's a crime. Plan for six days in Harrods. Just kidding of course but I was surprised by how much is there.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Erin

If you go to Harrod's webpage, www.harrods.com it tells you the exact dates of their sale in January. Have fun- my family and I have our trip to London planned for March, and I wish we were going to be there while the sale was going on!!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 09:24 AM
sam

Jen<BR>You are correct. Last time I was in Macy's they did not charge one pound sterling to take a pee like they do at Harrods...

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 10:52 AM
sonia

Have to add my 2 cents here. <BR><BR>Way back in the 60's when I was a college student in London, where I grew up, I took a summer job at Harrods. Their summer sale was in July: the store windows were full of tempting merchandise with eye-popping markdown prices, and folks would sometimes sleep on the sidewalk the night before the sale, to get first dibs on the best buys. <BR><BR>I was assigned to work in the Fine China dept on third floor. Day one of the sale we all lined up next to the tables piled with stacks of marked down bone china, our invoice pads clutched tight (no calculators or computer-based registers in that distant era.)<BR><BR>At 9 o'clock sharp the dept manager looked at his watch. "They're coming!" he announced, and a few seconds later you could hear the sound of feet running up the escalators. A wave of people (many bargain-hunting Americans) surged into the area and started collecting stacks of cups, plates, whatever. We hand-wrote and head-calculated the invoices, made shipping arrangements, divided up lots into US customs-friendly sizes. A week of total craziness, but lots of fun and very memorable. Best part of the china dept was our proximity via the back stairs to the Food Hall and Flower Hall -- cool tile, beautiful displays, fragrant and delicious smells.<BR><BR>No, Chris, it's nothing like Macy's. You could scurry through in an hour, but why not spend more time and enjoy the experience? Have a shoppping day -- enjoy Knightsbridge with the boutiques, Harvey Nichols, Sloane Street. Can't spend all your time in the museums, not if you want to get the feel of the city. I live in the US now, but I'll be back in London for a visit myself in a couple of weeks. <BR><BR>&lt;caveat&gt; YMMV: Harrods could be a whole different thing now, different store with newer owners. &lt;/caveat&gt;<BR><BR>Have a great trip!<BR>