Reload this Page >

Paris withdrawal symptoms - thinking of getting a fix during January sales

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:13 AM
andi

Just back from Paris two weeks and feel a burning need to go again. Not really in the budget but wondered if people have experience with rock-bottom budget fares in January (in time for sales). And what are the January sales like - how deep are the discounts? Hotels cheaper too?

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Mike

Did the January sales in London and Paris this year. Found a few great deals on clothing for the wife and odds and ends in kids stuff. Final mark downs on Xmas things and end of the season items. Being from the Chicago area there wasn't to many things I cannot buy here. The weather was great this January in both Paris and London. Actually had to buy a thin coat to wear, on sale. We are looking forward to next January to repeat the trip. No lines anywhere.

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Christina

I haven't been there in January, but I have in July quite a few times during the July sales, so I suppose the sales are about the same but different seasonal merchandise. They're just regular dept store sales, so discounts will vary depending on store and merchandise and how much they want to get rid of something and how bad it is, pretty much like US dept store sales. Don't think you can make a rule, percentage off varies from probably 5 to 50 percent, like any sale, but merchandise selection not always so great, of course.<BR><BR>As for hotels, I have a seen a few (but very few) that give a discount at end of January. The most common discount period I've seen in mid-July through August, then maybe November and mid-Feb to early March. So, I wouldn't count on that at all; it's possible but what you pay would vary more just between hotels than based on discounts. Hotel Academie in the 7th gives Jan discounts (same as their July-Aug and Nov rates).

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:21 AM
scarlettO

OOohhh andi,what a good idea! I am thinking that Paris in January would be an excellent way of getting through the holiday madness and the let down after~<BR>What good ideas you have<BR>I do know that the hotel we stay in,the D'Angleterre on rue Jacob has lower rates at that time, I shop there all the time, so never really paid attention to sales.But it makes sense that it would be the same as NY,the stores want to get rid of the stuff left over from Christmas shopping.<BR>I am going to mention this to my husband when he gets home tonight<BR>S

Old May 6th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Carol

So when in January or even July would you think would be a good time for the sales?<BR><BR>Thanks

Old May 6th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Maria

Hate to burst your bubble but haven't you noticed the weakening dollar? If this keeps up (economist say it will)there won't be any bargains left after we exchange our dollars for euros!