Search

Wheelchair Rental in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheelchair Rental in Italy

Hi all,
My trip to Rome & Florence with my mother is coming up faster than we can believe and we're so excited! My mother can walk for short distances only and has a hard time standing so I'm thinking about renting a wheelchair for the couple of occasions that might merit the convenience of a chair (despite the cobblestones!). If someone has a suggestion on where I can rent a wheelchair in Rome (we're staying near Piazza Navona so somewhere nearby or perhaps at FCO would be handy). Thanks so much!
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 08:48 AM

rosa-- I admire your desire to do something so nice with Mom..., but those cobblestones are nasty! You mentioned she would use it "for those few ocassions" but it seems your Mom is going to have to use it far more frequently that you seem to anticipate. I say this with the best wishes that you both have a great time, but I would consult with the hotel first as they may have a wheelchair for guests and can give you a better reality check.

BTW, if we were talking about Madrid, Barcelona or Paris, I would be far more enthusiastic.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Viajero. We're renting an apartment and either staying close to home base or taking driving tours or taxis around the city and not going to any museums (we've both been to Rome at least 3 times), just mainly spending time with friends who are meeting us there. The only major time she'd be faced with the walking/standing dilemma is possibly when we go to the Vatican for a Papal Audience. Thanks for the suggestion - I will call the agent at the rental apartment.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 07:59 AM

I ahve you thought about buying an inexpensive chair here? a transport chair is around 100.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 09:11 AM

Hello rosa! Here is the section from the SlowTravel website that should be of a big help to you regarding your mother's need for a wheelchair.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/accessible/rome/index.htm
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 09:12 AM

rosa-- that was going to be my next suggestion; rent a unit from the USA- manual/collapsible/light. Pharmacies typically have wheelchairs for rent just for this type infrequent need. Last time I did this for my Dad (same situation), I paid $50 two week rental. Besides, if something happens to the chair it would probably be better for you to deal with it at home....
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Commune di Roma has an service called Handy Turismo. You can contact them with any questions through their e-mail on the website.
http://www.handyturismo.it/modules.p...e=Infohandicap
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for great suggestions everyone! I'll let you know how it turns out, plus a trip report when we get back
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 07:25 AM

The yellow pages (available also in English) have plenty of listings for wheelchair rentals -- www.paginegialle.it
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by yeadonite
I ahve you thought about buying an inexpensive chair here? a transport chair is around 100.
transport chairs are vile. it's very tiring, being in a wheelchair, even if (exactly if) it is pushed and transport chairs are worst in that respect. The cheaper the nastier.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 09:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
This is a ten year old thread???