Wheelchair on Train in Italy Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm trying to buy train tickets from Rome to Florence and then on another day Florence to Venice for 2 of us in Sept.. My daughter is in a manual wheelchair. I get as far as choosing seats and I'm stuck. I don't see how to pick seats or where the wheelchair seats are. Can I buy the tickets online? If not, how do i buy them? Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 07:59 PM

If you don't get an answer here, try posting your question on the Slow Travel website, which often deals with questions about wheelchair travel in Italy and special needs on trains. (Sorry, I personally don't know the answer to your questions and wouldn't want to guess.)
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. Anyone else?
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 11:30 PM

Sorry not to be more positive, but I have never seen a wheelchair on an Italian train. The steps onto the train are fairly steep, and you would need help getting the chair up them unless you are very strong.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 03:58 AM

hi
you can take a wheelchair on board but you must ask for assistance, so you cannot buy tickets directly from the trenitalia's website.
http://www.rfi.it/cms/v/index.jsp?vg...8916f90aRCRD#3 at this link there are some informations about how to book tickets and have assistance. i hope i'm helpful
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 04:11 AM

Definitely you need to ask about this in detail. I too have never seen a wheelchair on a train in Italy.

Not sure the train aisles would be wide enough for many wheel chairs. Can your daughter walk at all (down train aisle) or dos she need the chair to go everywhere?

I would also look at handicap access in some places - Venice especially has a LOT of steps and I'm not sure it would be easy to get a wheelchair on and off a vaporetto. One typically has to step across the water between the boat and the dock but perhaps they have some sort of portable gangplank.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw a guy in a wheelchair at Venice Mestre last year. The train company provided assistance getting off the train, but since there was only ONE (!) elevator, he had to roll ALL the way down the very long platform and then across the tracks to get out of the station/change platforms.

There is some info here:
http://www.seat61.com/Europe-train-special-needs.htm
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 07:30 AM

You can definitely take a wheelchair on and off a train at the stations in Rome, Florence and Venice. The assistance service is called Sale Blu. Here is the contact information but, as I indicated before, the Slow Travel website is a better bet for helpful (more likely accurate) information.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...008916f90aRCRD

http://www.slowtalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by joanw
Hi, I'm trying to buy train tickets from Rome to Florence and then on another day Florence to Venice for 2 of us in Sept.. My daughter is in a manual wheelchair. I get as far as choosing seats and I'm stuck. I don't see how to pick seats or where the wheelchair seats are. Can I buy the tickets online? If not, how do i buy them? Thanks for your help.
Train Travel in Italy: Wheelchair Access - wheelchairtraveling.com
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 09:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Another old thread -- not 10 years old like the other one -- but still ooooold. Any reason you are topping these moldy old things? (I about fainted when I saw sabndralist - then noticed the dates)