Reload this Page >

What's Your Best Travel Tip ???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 09:44 AM
james

Mine is always travel with a good book and comfy shoes !!<BR>Lets hears yours that will surely be better than my lousy ones

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Edna

Don't forget your tickets.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Neil Canavan

Earplugs.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 10:17 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Smile alot and do not forget it is their country.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Sid

Bring cold medicine!!!

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 10:21 AM
susan

Always make use of a clean bathroom when available, whether needed or not! Will usually save you time and piece of mind in the long run.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Uma

If you ask a question in their language, they will answer in their language.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Marilyn

Susan, something else we agree on (besides Volterra)! The way I say it is "Never pass up a chance to pee."<BR><BR>But my travel tip would be to email all your hotel info, itinerary, important contact info, etc. to your travel email account. If you lose your stuff, you can still access the info from any internet cafe.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Snoopy

1. Pack light and take lots of money. 2. Learn to say "please", "thank you", "excuse me", "can you help me", "where can I find", "where's the restroom", "do you speak English" and maybe "I need a drink" in the language of the countries you are visiting. The worst that can happen is that they will answer you and you won't understand what they said. Probably, your attempt will signal that you are not fluent and they will respond in English if they can. <BR>3. Take a little time -- even if it's on the plane on the way over -- to learn something about the customs of the countries you are visiting . . . type of government, names of political leaders, geography . . . <BR>4. Regardless of the crummy exchange rate here in the US, get $50-100 worth of the currency before you arrive. Most places, of course, this isn't necessary because more and more often European airport bank exchage rates are reasonable. But it may come in handy.<BR>5. Get and use a sholster, or whatever it's called -- a money belt of sorts. US tourists usually stick out in a crowd and are targets for pickpockets. Carry your passport in there too.<BR>6. MY EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN that I get a good exchange rate when I use my credit card. So I use my credit card for almost everything.<BR>7. Pack all of the socks you think you need and then pack some more.<BR>

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Al

<BR>Don't throw rocks at someone with a machine gun.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 11:03 AM
John G

Never, ever forget your umbrella or dental floss.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 11:07 AM
x

spend some time in a major metro area before you depart, so you'll know how to behave.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 11:13 AM
elaine

Marilyn, what a great tip!<BR>even better than multiple hard copies taken with you.<BR><BR>mine,are<BR>be flexible, have a plan B<BR>remember that almost everything takes longer than you think it will<BR>never save the most important sight/site for the last day<BR>confirm, confirm, reconfirm<BR><BR>bring: comfortable shoes (yes, james!), two pairs if possible and wear them at home a few times first<BR>an umbrella in any season<BR>extra socks<BR>more film than you think you need<BR>more credit line than you think you need<BR>a notebook and pen<BR>tissues, bandaids, and handwipes, carried daily<BR>an extra foldable totebag to bring home breakable treasures<BR>a corkscrew (in checked luggage)<BR>pre-printed or pre-written labels with everyone's addresses if you're going to send postcards<BR>If your hotel provides a hairdryer, don't bother bringing one<BR><BR>don't pack more than you can carry up two flights of stairs or for 5 blocks<BR><BR>change the batteries in everything before you go<BR><BR>bring enough local currency to get you through at least one day<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Dick Yeager

I agree 10000000000% with Bob The Navigator:<BR><BR>"Message: Smile alot and do not forget it is their country."<BR><BR>There is sooooooooooooooo much to learn. I remember a singer/song writer named Paul Williams. He was a little short guy with kind of long blond hair and glasses. He had Emmy's and and Academy Award (with Steinsand....Paul needed pills and a Psych to get through that!)<BR><BR>Anyway, he had an album that I will never forget. On the Liner Notes, he had written......"Some people listen...some wait to talk. This album is for those who listen".<BR><BR>I will never forget that. <BR><BR>Dick

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 12:19 PM
xxx

Didn't he also star in the movie Phantom of the Opera!? Great flick!

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Ann

Uma: Maybe in some countries they will answer you in their language, but I can tell you from experience, not in Italy. We studied Italian in Florence and were speaking Italian to the store owners, etc. 9 times out of 10 they answered us in English.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 12:28 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Smile alot and do not forget it is their country.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Marilyn

I like and have used some of the tips. I'd like to add-check the weather where you are going. Pack a pen and paper. Print out schedules, such as train schedules so you can point to the one you want. Bring a plastic bottle of water and keep it filled. Wear heavy socks and take off your shoes on the plane. Try to sleep on the way over. Maintain a good packing list. Run out your itinerary and put in the pockets of your luggage and carry on; be sure to include your name and address so if you have to check anything and it gets lost it may find its way back. M.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 12:41 PM
x

Get rid of your itinerary.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 12:55 PM
scarlett

Use zip lock bags when you pack<BR><BR>Smile and at least try to say please and thank you in their language. Even if you mangle it the way I do, they appreciate the effort. Or get a good laugh.<BR>Try to eat the food.(as in stay away from McD's etc) You will always be surprised, usually pleasantly.<BR>Let the hotel reserve for restaurants, save yourself the angst.<BR>Leave time for just doing nothing.<BR>Stop now and then and just absorb your surroundings.<BR>Enjoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -