Reload this Page >

What's with Italy Eurostar ticketing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 04:19 AM
Tom

Does anyone know why it's impossible to get an on-line price quote, let alone a reservation, for the Italy Eurostar trains? I've tried Raileurope, the German rail website, and Ferrovia, and none can provide the rate information or the ticketing on-line. I asked a travel agent and she said she'd had difficulty with ticketing all spring, something about "not getting the price from New York," which I found out meant she couldn't get it from Raileurope either. <BR> <BR>Can anyone shed light on this and/or tell me where I can purchase tickets in the US?

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 05:50 AM
elaine

suggestions <BR>Train information line in Italy (English language) Tel: 1478-88088. Hrs.: Daily 7am-9pm. <BR>For advance purchase in the US of train tickets and seat reservations I have used CIT Tours: <BR>email [email protected] <BR>or phone 888 CIT TOURS <BR>Of course, if the problem originates in Italy, no agency or source may be able to help you much. I had no problem with CIT, but I have read that recently some people have had to wait a long time to receive their tickets from them. <BR>

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 09:01 AM
WendyF

??? I thought Eurostar was a brand name (really company name) solely referring to a high speed train that runs London-Paris-Brussels. Are you trying to buy a ticket on the Eurostar London-Paris train in Italy? But you said you're in the US? Has the Eurostar company started some train line in Italy that they are calling by that name? Maybe you should clear up what train route you want a ticket on for someone to help you, and I could be out of it, but I've never heard of a Eurostar train in Italy.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 10:57 AM
Tom

Wendy, there are other Eurostars besides the London-Paris one, several in Italy.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 04:35 PM
Nigel Doran

Try this site: <BR> <BR>http://orario.fs-on-line.com/fsbinx/fsqueryx?lang=en <BR> <BR>You will get a quote in lire but will not be able to book online. <BR>I have seen it on this site that you can book your rail tickets at the AmEx offices in Italy. <BR> <BR>And Eurostar Italia is a brand name for the high-speed tilting train services that connect certain Italian cities.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 04:44 PM
Tony

I had this problem myself when the Italian Eurostars were quite new three years ago. <BR>Why the Italians used the Eurostar name when it was already the Channel Tunnel brand name is beyond me; it has caused total confusion for the customers they are seeking. There is no connection between the two. <BR>I also found it completely impossible to book an Italian Eurostar ticket outside of Italy. I tried before leaving home, and I tried again in Nice which I thought would be close enough. No dice. I eventually booked in Italy the day before travel, and suprise, suprise, when I boarded both the Eurostar trains in Rapallo, and Rome they were almost completely empty - I had the whole car to myself both days - thats about 80 seats to choose from. No wonder the Italian railways are losing money hand over fist !!

Old Jul 8th, 2000, 05:14 AM
sherrie

Just got back from Italy and traveled from Rome to Venice by train. We bought our tickets in Italy a couple days before our departure with no problem. We only encountered a problem with the class. We wanted 1st, we got 2nd. But the 2nd turned out to be just fine. Word of caution though, if you are doing any traveling to a major city on a Friday or Sunday, buy the tickets as soon as you arrive in Italy because those are the busy travel days.