Reload this Page >

What's to See on Southbank-London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Anne

Any special sights? Is it easy to get around there?

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 12:28 PM
MJ

The biggy for me has always been the Royal Festival Hall with so much entertainment going on every day, various places to eat also. Beautiful facility and such a pleasure to walk across the bridge to the Embankment area late at night, with St. Paul's in the distance. Enjoy.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Judy

Second to South Bank Centre(Royal Festival hall is part of the complex),with so many events to choose from,I almost spend every night there during my London visits.<BR><BR>From London Bridge up the river,there are so many more to see:the Borough Market on Saturday(so much exotic food),Beautiful Southwark Cathedral,(the Tea Museum is somewhere around, but I have been yet),Globe Theatre,Tate Modern(interesting restored building, the cafe on top floor offers fascinating view of London skyline in rainy day,or any kind of weather). And then National Film Theatre, SBC. The museum of Garden History next to Lambeth Palace is one of the hiden jem by Lambeth Bridge,I have enjoyed tea in the converted church few times.<BR><BR>And the best of all is the River Path,there is always something happening: people walking, boats goingby, old building restored,new buildings coming up.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 01:04 PM
L Kingham

Lots:<BR><BR><BR>It is my favourite area of London<BR><BR>National Theatre<BR>National Fil Theatre<BR>Hayward Gallery<BR>Festival Hall<BR>MOMI (Museum of moving image)<BR>London eye (big ferris wheel) is just up towards parliament<BR>Tate Modern is the other way.<BR><BR>Tip: going there in the day time is fine<BR><BR>and it is great ay#t night - St Pauls and riverside all lit up, but if you go in the dark, get the tube to Embankment and walk across the river.<BR><BR>Don't be tempted to get the tube to Waterloo in teh dark - it is easy to find your way into a cardboard city of homeless - and it can be intimidating.<BR><BR>Stick to the river - it is far more pleasant.<BR>

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 01:17 PM
janis

I second everything the others have mentioned. Plus the Anchor pub (it was better years ago before it was gentrified but the views are still great), either restaurant in the Globe, the fantastical fountain in the Hays Galleria, and cocktails or lunch at the OXO Tower.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Pierrette

Cross Tower Bridge, go left and follow Thames Path. After about one mile you will see the wonderful Angel Pub, you can sit outside and have lunch at one of the 2 picnic tables or go inside, great views of the bridge, and about 2 blocks further the historic Mayflower pub.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Ben Haines

It may help if I put these good things into order, and add a couple. I shall saiol downstream.<BR>Museum of garden history<BR>Gate of Lambeth Palace<BR>Florence Nightingale Museum<BR>Acquarium<BR>The London Eye<BR>The modern architecture of Waterloo International station<BR>Royal Festival Hall, Hayward Gallery, National Film theatre (and cheap restaurant). The museum of the Moving Image is closed just now<BR>National Theatre<BR>The Founders Arms pub, opposite St Paul?s: I prefer it to meals in the Anchor, Globe, or (bless us) OXO Tower<BR>Tate Modern<BR>Millenium Bridge (wobble-free)<BR>Globe<BR>The Borough market, Thursdays as well as Saturdays<BR>The Market Porter pub for weekday lunches upstairs<BR>Southwark Cathedral<BR>Hays Galleria<BR>HMS Belfast: twentieth century battleship<BR>The Design Museum<BR>Bramah?s tea and coffee museum<BR>The Mayflower pub and the church next door to it<BR><BR>The web site is http:// www.jubileewalkway.com<BR><BR>You can readily start at Waterloo station if you want, and walk on upper level walkways to the Royal Festival Hall. The settlement of the homeless has been cleared away to build the Imax cinema. Though why the homeless, poor souls, should intimidate you I do not know. <BR><BR>Please write if I can help further<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 07:16 PM
anne

If you want to see Southbank at night, I highly recommend the Along the Thames Pub Walk from London Walks. They take you across Westminster bridge and (of course) along the Thames through winding alleys to 3 neat pubs. My favorite was the Founders Arms right across from St. Pauls. Fish and chips were scrumptious!

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 12:11 AM
Rachel

I live in the South Bank area of London, and agree with all of the suggestions mentioned. I don't know when you are planning on visiting, but the Tate Modern is showing a special exhibit of Picasso and Matisse through Aug. 18th which is great! Also, there is a new bus route (RV1) which stops at all of the sights along the south bank, and also goes north across the river to Aldwych and Covent Garden. All of the buses are new (i.e. very nice and very clean)and there is a computerized screen which shows you which stop is next. I have also experienced incredibly friendly and helpful drivers on this route. I hope this helps - enjoy your visit!

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 01:22 AM
JOdy

wine tour at Vinopolis is fun and the food is good too !

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Judy

Has anyone ever visited "Old Operating Theater Museum and Herb Garret" and Cuming Museum? Are they intersting?

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:29 PM
trying

Ditto: about the pub walk. There is a lot to see and do in Southbank and Southwark (which I think are the adjoing areas South of the Thames).

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:33 PM
stinky

not too far from IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 12:35 AM
Ben Haines

For Judy: Yes. The old operating theatre is good, with a complete pre-Lister theatre preserved by being walled up, and a herb garret where St Thomas Hospital kept their healing herbs, before modern medicine, and long before antibiotics. <BR><BR>I have to admit that the Cuming museum is pretty minor: it has no clear focus. The site http://www.london-se1.co.uk/attractions/cuming.html says, correctly, The nearest thing there is to a museum of local SE1 history. Hidden within the Newington Library complex, it may seen a little old-fashioned but there's plenty of interest to be found. Between 1780 and 1900 Richard & Henry Cuming collected over 100,000 objects from all over the world. Henry left his collection to the people of Southwark, and the Cuming Museum opened in 1906. <BR><BR>The Borough of Southwark says on http://www.southwark.gov.uk/template...Detail.cfm/974 that<BR>The Museum has an active programme of events and activities for all ages, ranging from talks by local histroians to workshops for children during school holidays. It also runs primary school handling sessions on Roman Britain, the Ancient Egyptians, the Victorians, light, electricity and properties of materials. Guided tours are available for groups. The Museum is free. <BR><BR>And I want to add that if you can phone ahead and catch one of those school visits you will see a sight as good as any theatre evening. Though simple and unpretentious, they have deep meaning for the future of our culture in London.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further. <BR><BR>Welcome to South London.<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Judy

For Ben, many thanks for the detail info.I will definitely visit the two sites this fall.