What's the recipe?

Search

What's the recipe?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the recipe?

I ate the very best apple kuchen in an outdoor cafe in Regensberg. It was unlike anything I had ever tasted here in the States, and my grandmother is first generation German! I'm not good at decoding the ingredients but the crust was thin and cake like. The apples were in a cream filling. Does anyone have such a recipe they can share with me and others? Thanks!
[email protected]
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:19 PM

If you still haven't loc. the recipe, I'd try foodtv.com, cooking.com, or epicurious.com. The Web has been pretty helpful reg. recipes.
Good luck!
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Peel, core, and cut each apple into 8 wedges. Set aside.
2 In a medium bowl, combine the cake mix, coconut and margarine until crumbly. Pat mixture lightly into prepared pan, building up the edges slightly to form a crust. Arrange the apple wedges on top.
3 Mix together the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over the apples and the cake mixture. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and sour cream. Drizzle over the top of the cake.
4 Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until the edges of the cake are golden and the apples are tender.

Makes 12 servings

Nutrition Info
Servings Per Recipe: 12

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 356
Total Fat: 14.4g
Cholesterol: 27mg
Sodium: 350mg
Total Carbohydrates: 55.3g
Dietary Fiber: 2.6g
Protein: 3.3g

Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database
About our nutritional information

? Scale to servings
? Convert to: U.S Standard / Metric
About Scaling
and Conversions

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Peel, core, and cut each apple into 8 wedges. Set aside.
2 In a medium bowl, combine the cake mix, coconut and margarine until crumbly. Pat mixture lightly into prepared pan, building up the edges slightly to form a crust. Arrange the apple wedges on top.
3 Mix together the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over the apples and the cake mixture. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and sour cream. Drizzle over the top of the cake.
4 Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until the edges of the cake are golden and the apples are tender.

Makes 12 servings

Nutrition Info
Servings Per Recipe: 12

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 356
Total Fat: 14.4g
Cholesterol: 27mg
Sodium: 350mg
Total Carbohydrates: 55.3g
Dietary Fiber: 2.6g
Protein: 3.3g

Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database
About our nutritional information

? Scale to servings
? Convert to: U.S Standard / Metric
About Scaling
and Conversions

I hope this helps you..mimi

Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Mimi...Thanks for helping with the recipe. Can you be more specific? How do I make the cake?Is it just flour or is it a prepackaged cake mix? How much coconut and margarine are added? How many eggs? How much sour cream? I don't do a lot of baking so very specific instructions would be appreciated. Thanks again!
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 07:15 PM

mkdiebold , there are many variations on this recipe, I had both a thin and thick and thin. But go to Google.com and type in apple kuchen, you will recognize your grandma's.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 08:15 PM

mimi---at the next fodors meeting we expect you to bring this for our dessert...bob
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 02:19 AM

I know I can be a smart a.. at times ;-) but no traditional German recipe contains coconut - neither Apfelkuchen nor does anything like a Bavarian chocolate cake with coconut exist in Bavaria.

From your description of the crust and the cake recipies I'm familiar with I guess it's Muerbeteig (my dictionary translates it to short crust, short pastry).
Basic recipe contains 300g wheat flour, 100g sugar, 150g cold butter, 1 egg, 1 pinch of salt.
It's important to be quick so that the butter doesn't get too warm. Put flour on the work table. Cut the butter in pieces, add them to the flour and keep cutting the butter "into" the flour. Egg and salt into the middle, stir it in first with a fork, then using your hands. Form the dough into a ball and refridgerate it for an hour.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kascha, for the cake recipe. I'll give it a try, adding the apples, spices, and sour cream on top. I agree that coconut didn't sound correct but I'm open to trying whatever others suggest. Since we in the States don't use grams for measuring our ingredients, I'll find a translating calculator on the web. Hope I'm successful. My mouth is watering already!
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 08:04 PM

Hi Mk was trying to be helful with the recipe and I can see that the coconut is only a variation, not the standard. I googled apple kuchen tonight and came up with so many different ones. some with raisins, some with almonds.
Sorry bob, I don't bake but I'll buy you one