Reload this Page >

What's the problem with a one-way ticket

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 05:33 AM
matt

Earlier I'd posted about where to find a cheap one-way ticket US to Europe. Several people said that it would be a huge problem with customs etc. Is it just the extra security post 9/11 where you'd automatically be flagged because of a one-way ticket or are there other legit issues? In my situation, I think a one-way might be the way to go. To re-cap I'm going to a short term school in Prague to be certified as an English language teacher for non-English speakers and then will have a teaching assignment somewhere in Central or Eastern Europe. Don't know where I'll eventually end up or for how long. The work visas and that are not the issue here, it's the airline ticket. thanks for your input.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 05:41 AM
abc

9/11 is one reason.Actually, a round trip ticket might be cheaper.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 05:41 AM
andy

Matt- You do need a ROUNDTRIP tkt to Europe--even if you are going to school.<BR>They need to see that you WILL be returning to the US- the max time out of the Country is 6 mos.<BR><BR>A relative is in London currently in school and she needed to get a Roundtrip tkt in order to enter ENGLAND-but it was a set return with 1 free change on the return --issued by her school. When she went to change her return, all seats were sold out- So now, she DID have to purchase a one way back to the US thru a STUDENT TRAVEL AGENCY in London.... But that was the only way to get into London in the first place- She needed a roundtrip tkt.<BR><BR>ALSO you will DEFINITELY be red-flagged by SECURITY and the AIRLINES if you only have a ONE WAY tkt.....<BR><BR>Also relative's original tkt was on a consolidator and had way more restrictions than a tkt issued by the airlines direct. <BR><BR>Be careful what you purchase......

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 08:36 AM
Snoopy

Yep, you need a RT ticket. Even if you were able to get on a flight out of the US, many countries in Europe would not let you through immigrations because you won't be able to prove that you plan to leave. They don't give a rat's rear end why. This was true long before 9/11. People were flocking to England with one-way tickets and becoming wards of the state. Lot's of them never left the airport. There was a time in the mid 70s at Heathrow when you couldn't even eat at the cafeterias because people would just rush up to your table and grab your food right off of your plate.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 09:31 AM
vida

I don't see how you should have a problem if your documentation shows the reason for a one-way ticket. If you are travelling to a country as a student and then changing staus to a legal working person, you must need a visa to allow you long-term stay. This should help explain a one-way ticket. Does any country expect the students who go abroad to have return tickets for several years later? Or how about people who are transferred by their companies to work in overseas branches. I'd think the school that is arranging for your course and employment should be able to assist you.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 09:51 AM
Rocky

Matt<BR>Here is part of the official wording from the reference guide used by airlines/etc to tell you what you need when visiting a foreign country.This specifically pertains to a US citizen traveling to Prague.As always,everything on the planet is subject to change without notice.Requirements among others:<BR>All documents for next destination AND<BR>Return/onward ticket OR sufficient funds to buy one AND sufficient funds to cover intended stay.<BR>Hope this helps<BR>Rocky

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 09:54 AM
Ann

Matt, you don't HAVE to have a round-trip ticket, but it will make life much easier for you. I have no idea why I was held and questioned for 2 hours at Heathrow because I had a one-way ticket to return to the US, even though I had a valid work visa. They even asked me about how much money I brought with me on the way over, and when I told them, they got all suspicious and said &quot;There's no way you could have supported yourself on that.&quot; When I pointed to my work visa that they were holding and said that I had worked all summer, the whole process just started over again. I finally got through because I was perfectly legal, but it was really nerve racking, and I almost missed my flight.<BR><BR>This was in 1990, so it's not anything post-9/11. And it has nothing to do with customs, but immigration.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:26 AM
BritGuy

Matt<BR>Your hotmail box is full!!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:56 AM
xxx

After reading all the reasons for buying a RT ticket, it's worth the expense just to avoid the hassles you'll encounter with a one-way ticket.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:23 AM
matt

Thanks all. Guess I'll take your advice on the round trip. Still can't figure out what those who are ex-pats do about plane tickets. Surely they can't always have a round-trip ticket on hand when they have no idea when they'll want to return.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 10:50 AM
yyy

Have you looked into prices? I personally have never found a one-way ticket that cost less than a round-trip. Takes a lot of the agonizing out of the decision, you know, and you just don't use the return or you pay the fee and change it when ready if possible.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:30 AM
noname

I don't think immigration rules require you to have a round trip ticket. After all, their concern is that you not exceed the allowed time to be in THEIR country -- they don't care what you do when you leave. We went to Europe last year by ship on a one-way ticket and had no problem entering. We were there almost a year, going in and out of GB 3 times -- never a question about our plans; in and out of the EU twice, again no questions asked. Surely if Matt has a visa allowing him to remain for more than six months, it would be reasonable to expect the immigration authorities to honor the visa.<BR><BR>My question is related but slightly different: if you buy a round-trip ticket and only use it one way, does anybody care? Is there any violation of any law or anything else to cause a problem?

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:46 AM
Marshall

You don't need a RT ticket. i'm studying in Europe right now and I've had NO problems whatsoever with one exception: I was red-flagged leaving the US. No big deal--a hassle--but I saved $800. easy decision.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:57 AM
curious

To Marshall, How did you save $800? And how are you getting home?

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:39 PM
Casey

All major European airlines have &quot;student fares&quot;. So if you are a student and have a international student card, you could fly very cheaply to and from Europe. E.G . My daughter, who goes to school in Spain, comes home to Canada for a long weekend for approx.359.00 Euros from Amsterdam on KLM.{Round trip}.One way for students is approx. 180.00 Euros. So check the major airlines. If you were to go to any of the E.U. countries you can apply for a &quot;Schengen visa&quot; wich is good for 90 days.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:24 PM
correx

Casey,<BR> Some of the EU cpountries are NOT Schengen and some of the Schengen are not EU, just for the record.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:24 PM
Don

I am an expat living in Norway with a work visa. I entered Norway with a one-way ticket from the USA. No problems; no checking. However, without my work permit, they could have required me to show proof of onward travel outside of the Schengen Agreement countries (ie, most of western Europe) within 3 months if questioned. UK allow US citizens a 6 month tourist allowance. Anticipating your next question, Schengen allows US citizens 3 months in a 6 month period; 6 months per year with at least 90 days between stays. If you have a student visa showing stay longer than CZ allows tourists (which might be 6 months?) then should be no problem. As a student, you can qualify for tickets from agencies like STA travel and StudentUniverse.com which usually allow very cheap changes to return date--$25 typically.