Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the easiest way to get to Santorini?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must. Go. To. Santorini.

My question is, what's the easiest way to get there? Does ANY airport or airline fly direct to Santorini from the States, or do we have to go through Athens no matter what?

If we go through Athens, should we fly to Santorini or take the ferry?

And lastly, are there any European airports or airlines with direct flights to Santorini? We could potentially tack on a few days in Santorini to our Germany/Austria trip next year.

Thanks for ANY help!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 07:25 AM

It is my understanding that you MUST fly via Athens to get to the islands.

Flying is certainly faster, but then also more expensive. I believe my flight only lasted and hour - it was 72Euros in off season.

Try www.gtp.gr for ferry schedules/length etc.

Good Travels,

Murphy

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 07:32 AM

Yes, via Athens unless you can catch a charter from Sweden.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 07:37 AM
cmt

EAsier is definitely to fly. But just be aware that flights can be delayed or rescheduled because of wind or other weather conditions, so on the way back, don't schedule a tight connection if you are flying out of Athens the same day (actually I wouldn't even plan to fly out of Athens the same day after flying from Santorini).
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I actually just found a website for an airline called Condor Flugdienst, which SEEMS to operate nonstops from Munich to Santorini. Has anyone ever flown with this airline or know anything about it? This is the first time I've stumbled across it in all my planning (actually found it while researching Munich to Venice fares).

Otherwise, it might be just as easy to take a separate trip to Santorini from home (PHL) if there aren't direct flights within Europe, either!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 08:36 AM

There's nothing directly to Santorini from the USA, but there are direct charter flights to Santorini from several European cities, including London, Munich, Amsterdam and Paris, to name a few. There are also a lot of independent discount airlines in Europe that will take you to Athens. Easyjet in London might be a good place to start.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Brotherleelove -- I've been looking at a million combos of flights, but for some reason, I kept looking from Munich or Eastern US only. Never occurred to me to look for direct flights from home to London, then an intra-Europe flight to Santorini...duh! Thanks for switching on the light blub
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:47 AM

Glad to be of service!!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 01:10 PM

There are charter flights from London to Santorini. You can check on http://www.charterflights.co.uk/, but I have never used this website, so can't necessarily recommend them.

EasyJet flies to Athens from both Luton and Gatwick, but I no longer use that airline because flights either leave the UK very early in the morning, or arrive Athens late in the evening after all flights and ferries have departed for the islands. Frankly I don't see any sense in flying from the US to London, then to Athens, and on to Santorini. Much better to fly directly to Athens, IMO.

If you will already be in Germany there are other possibilities. Aegean Airlines flies to Greece from Munich, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt and Stuttgart, but I don't know if they fly directly to Santorini, or if you will have to change planes in Athens. There will be other scheduled and charter flights, but someone based in Germany would be better placed to provide that information.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 01:21 PM

As www.whichbudget.com will show there are a number of possibilities of low costs scheduled flights to Santorini from various places in London.

However, like the charter flights, most of them will be seasonal - typically late May to late October and if you want to get there outside of those times, scheduled flights - or ferries are the only possibilities.

Also consider flying to another Greek Island like Crete & catching a ferry from there.