What's the best way from Paris to Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Paris on the 14th of September and planning on visiting also Rome, Florence and Venice. What would be the best: to take a flight from Paris to Rome and then the train back up or simply buy a train pass that allows me to see one city in Switzerland in between? Will I be wasting too much time by train? I have 16 days to do it all.
And if you think the plane would be the best deal, where can I find cheap tickets one way from Paris to Rome? The only resource that I know of is easyjet.com and they don't do Rome-Paris.
Thanks,
Cass67
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 04:00 AM

Volare airlines has flights from Paris Orly to Milan or Venice.
One way from 49.99€
Check on www.volareweb.com
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 04:21 AM

I dont personally think it is the best way to go to Paris from Rome, but I express my idea, VOILA:
there the train that departs from Paris Bercy every evening around 7 pm and arrives in Rome around 10 am. Being a night train it has sleeperettes and wagon lits. I have traveled using the sleeperettes (6 beds in one compartment) but it was a nightmare. So I can suggest the wagon lits (there are 3, 2 or 1 bed in each compartment), they then to be more expensive, and I dont know then if it is worth the hassle.

Another solution (the one I prefer): Saudia or Kuwait Airlines or Corsair. They have good rates and there are direct flights from Paris to Rome. I have flown Corsair and I liked it.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 04:23 AM

BTW: these 3 airline companies have pretty good one-way fares too, so check them out!
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for both of you but the flight to Venice I'll keep as a second option. And about the airlines BATUFFOLINA, It seems that Saudiairlines is pretty expensive, Corsair doesn't book online and Kuwait Airlines flight schedule must be down, a search didn't bring anything.
I'll keep on checking. I like the option of the night train. I'll check that out.
Thanks again
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 10:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've done night trains in the private sleepers (wagon lit) between Geneva and Venice, also Venice to Paris. It was well worth the extra supplement in my opinion for the comfort (about the price of a hotel room). I have no experience with flights within Europe, so this is not to discount that option, but a comment from a person who enjoys taking an overnight train!
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Suze. This might be the best idea.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Intrepid

One other "advantage" of taking the overnight, or any train for that matter, is you don't have to worry about whether or not you'll be charged for "excess" luggage weight. I agree that going First Class is probably worth the extra money to ensure greater comfort and privacy. Whereas it may cost more than a hotel room, depending on the level of accommodations you usually frequent, but then again that cheaper hotel room in Paris will still be in Paris when you wake up the next morning.

Old Aug 10th, 2003, 02:30 PM

An overnight train may not be that expensive.
Sleeping cars (wagon lits) are usualy set in 3 different kind of accomodation, according to the number of beds available in a compartment, T1, T2, T3.
A T3 accomodation usually requires a 2nd class ticket.
I won't suggest sleeperette (both 4 or 6 persons compartment) unless you are a party of 4.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for all the help. I'll certainly check all the options for night trains and bug you again if I need something else
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 08:29 AM

Have you considered flying from Paris to Venice, and then taking the train to Rome the Euro Star would be the way to go.
Fluffy
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 12:05 PM

99€ one way from de gaulle to rome. airfrance.fr. you need to have an address in france to have the tickets sent to. this is what we did, service was great, and the price was fabulous.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 01:21 PM

we were having the same issue a few months back. Somehow we did not find any reasonable airfares from Paris to Rome.Paris to Milan - yes. But not from Paris to Rome.

So we took the overnight train from Paris Bercy.

We had the first-class eurail pass..had to pay for the reservation.

Had fun. Met interesting folks sharing our couchette.

If you like trains..this is a great experience.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 04:33 AM

Another vote for the night train! Definitely worth paying extra for a private sleeper cabin. Once you take into account the fact that you'll be saving on a night's hotel accommodation, the price suddenly becomes pretty reasonable.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:07 AM

The night trains from Paris to Italy are amongst the best in Europe with a wide choice of accommodation. You not only save the cost of a night in a hotel, but you do not waste any daytime travelling - you can have an afternoon sightseeing in Paris, and be in Roma the next morning. Any air journey will take at least as much time.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:58 AM

We faced the same problem for Dec. 2003 and decided to take the Eurostar to London from Paris for a few days--see a few shows, go to a few museums--and then fly Easyjet to Rome. Of course, we have been to London a couple of times and this is our second time for Rome. Hopefully, the logistics will all work out! Have a good trip!

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Wow, I'm pretty impressed with all the help I'm getting from everybody. It looks like the overnight train is winning.
I was taking a look at the Eurail passes and thought of taking the overnight train from Paris to Rome and then back up to Florence, Venice, Switzerland (I'm taking suggestions here!) and back to Paris.
The best bet so far seems to be the Eurail Selectpass Saver for 3 Countries and 6 days/trip. It says that I can travel 1st class. Do you think this is the best choice?
Thank you all very much!
Cass67
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 11:48 AM

I like travelling by train because you can see the scenery; otherwise I would go by plane. The problem with the overnight train is that you risk missing some of the most scenic areas, particularly if you are traversing Switzerland.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:40 PM

hey Cass76...you are copying my itenary!

we did exactly the same--Paris-Rome-Venice-Milan-Swtz-Paris

Got the 6day 3 country eurail pass

let me know if you have any Q's
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:45 PM
ira

Hi Cass,

Before buying a railpass, check with www.railsaver.com.

You will have to pay a supplement for a sleeper, for reserved seats and on ES* and THALYS trains as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -