Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the best luggage size for train travel in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I are traveling to Italy in May. There will be 4 of us and we can all carry our own luggage, however, I wonder what would be the best size to buy for a 2 week trip that involves traveling from Rome to Venice and back via train and/or rental car? Is a 24" bag too big?
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Unless you take a taxi (water taxi in Venice) door to door you are likely to need luggage further than just a few feet. Thus I recommend you pack one bag for each. There is a luggage rack at one end of each compartment of all Eurostar (ES) trains.

For more visit www.kidscantravel.com.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:13 AM

We are a family of 5 and each of us uses a 22" bag. They fit fine on the train. Sometimes there is room behind or between the seats, but most of the time, you have to be able to lift it overhead...so make sure you can do that.

Also remember that the bridges in Venice have STEPS, not ramps. So for every bridge you have to cross with your luggage, you have to lift it up the steps, then down the steps.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:26 AM

We've traveled on trains and vaporetti (water buses in Venice) with 26" and 27" suitcases with no problem. It's not as if you'll be doing this several times a day throughout your trip.

But you do have to consider the weight and size of your luggage in light of the health and physical condition of the individuals in your group. Depending on the location of your hotel, you might have to carry/pull your suitcase just a very short distance or a relatively long distance.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
24" on wheels is fine. That's my usual travel suitcase size for trains in Europe.

I don't know about rental cars, but am guessing 4 might not all fit in the trunk? Maybe using 2 duffle bags (no frame or wheels) that can squish + 2 normal suitcases would be better?
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 11:02 AM

For 4 people plus luggage you don't need a car, you need a people carrier
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 11:04 AM
ira

Hi V,

For one week you don't need anything larger than a 22" carryon with wheels.

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 11:04 AM
ira

OOOPs,

That should have been "for 2 weeks".

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 12:18 PM

I agree with Ira.However I prefer a 22inchwithout wheels.I have a bag with backpack straps that I carry.It is big enough for 2 weeks and can be carried easily.My wife on the other hand prefers a wheeled 22 inch case.best regards
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 12:40 PM

And don't forget all those stairs in the train stations! I take a 21" roller/backpack convertible and a small cosmetic bag. Nothing more!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There seems a huge difference between my 24" & my 22" in how much I can pack. I prefer the 24" and have yet to have any difficulty getting it onto a train!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 01:15 PM

Here is my 20" on wheels worth -- for one month on the rails at least.

I also carry a 16" day bag over my shoulder. I go out in the morning with this one loosely packed carrying street essentials (extra batteries and/or film, maps, guidebook, TP for sure, maybe a scarf or sweater, etc.) and fill it for the return with more essentials for the evening (wine and cheese) plus any souvenir purchases. Never put your valuables in any bag.

I bought these bags as 2 parts of a 3 part set at Staples and gave away the big bag, probably a 24" but I don't know.

I usually agree with suze on Fodors but this time not. Maybe you ladies need more stuff than men???

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:23 PM

I take my 22" no matter how long I'm staying. I was in Eastern Europe and Germany for 9 weeks this summer with only that suitcase and a small bag for gadgets and extras.

I just have to coordinate carefully and expect to do a little washing from time to time.

I am an older woman, and I can't shlepp a bigger suitcase around easily, but more than that, it's just simpler.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, ladies don't necessarily need more stuff. I use a convertible backpack, and last trip (3 months in Europe) it weighed in at around 22 pounds (10 kilos). Plus 4-5 pounds in my day pack for the flight. I definitely aim not to travel with more than I can carry!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:36 PM

We use a standard size, carryon bag per person on all of our trips whether the trips are one week or four weeks. It is far easier to carry too little than too much.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:05 PM
BRR

I just returned from two weeks in France and Italy with just a 21 inch rollaboard and I am SOLD on carryon only travel. You don't need a 24 inch bag. With flights, trains etc. it was a dream, I will never take a larger suitcase again. I also had a tote bag that sat on top for walking ( I bought both from Rick Steves, and they are very well designed ) They are very light weight, could easily heave them up into the train/air/bus racks. I'm a middle aged female.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses, funny that I wanted the 22 " size and my husband insits we need a 24", hopefully your comments will convince him.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:17 PM

I have a 22" expandable suitcase from Victorinox, which works quite well (together with a 32 litre daypack) for most trips of 2 weeks unless I have to pack for more than one climate and one of those climates requires heavy winter clothing. I'm very disciplined about making sure that, pre-trip, everything fits into the unexpanded suitcase with a bit of room to spare. As the trip progresses, my stuff seems to expand (maybe clothes take up more space when they're dirty? ), and I have room for purchases.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:32 PM

Each person needs to be able handle his/her own luggage. Including getting it on the the train and lift it onto the overhead racks if necessary. If your husband can do it for his stuff, then let him take his 24", while you take your 22".

If you rent a car, then 4 24" will not fit into cars that are most suitable for Italian drivings. Good size for maneuvering through Italian traffic is like the Renault Clio (rental companies call them "economy" size) we rented last month. It will fit 21-22" suitcase lengthwise in the trunk behind the backseat, so you can fit 4 pretty easily. 4 24" and you'll have some serious problem fitting and keeping them unnoticeable.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:58 PM

Having lugged a 24 inch on the train in Italy and around Venice(on and off the vaporetto), I'd say don't do it. I will never travel to Europe with such a large bag again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -