Search

What's it cost to get outta town?

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Les
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's it cost to get outta town?

Well, our month in Paris is coming to an end. We leave on Friday. I'm trying to estimate how many euros I'll need to skip town, with the hope that I'll end up on the plane with zero euros in my pocket (yeah, my wife says that's not a problem - why does that worry me?).
OK, I've got the cab fare covered. What I'd like to know is what other expenses can I expect at the airport. I think that my departure taxes are included in my ticket (but I'm not 100% certain of that). Anything else?
Thanks.
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:11 AM

I'm sure departure taxes are included. I've never paid them at the airport. You might want a few Euros for a bottle of water or snacks (chocolate/candies)for the plane.
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:32 AM

Definitely save a small amount for the airport.

We returned from Paris just a few days ago, and our flight out was delayed 2 hours. So arriving the requisite 2 or so hours prior, then to find we had an add'l 2 hours, well it made for a long wait. Food and drink are expensive at the airport, but we were happy to have the money available to eat.

And no, we had no extra departure taxes due (flew AA).

Besides, won't there always be a next time to spend those extra euros?
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:10 AM

Put those Euros you BRING BACK aside somewhere..you'll be able to use them on your return and they may even continue to incerase in value.

I never exchange money back to Dollars anymore..just keep it in the safe at home til the next trip.
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:19 AM
ira

Hi Les,

Unless you plan on never going back to Europe, says your Euro for your next visit.

Old May 6th, 2008, 06:30 AM

yep, I purposely get more out of the ATM before leaving so we'll have 'starter' cash for the next trip.
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Travelnut: now that IS a GREAT tip!
Oddly, I've never thought of doing
that, but the ex. rate is the best
and the convenience can't be beat,
so why not start a cache!
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:22 PM

We have "loaned" our leftover euros to co-workers/friends who use them at the beginning of their trip and repay us at the end. It's an easy way to have a little cash in your pocket when you arrive at your euroful destination.
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Les
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, guys.
This is not about cashing in my extra euros - it's about how many more euros I need to buy to get out of town. I don't need to save euros for my next trip. I don't go to Europe all that often (my last 5 trips have been to Asia and Australia/New Zealand), and I expect that the next time I go, the dollar will be stronger (sorry, but I can't agree with those on this forum that predict doomsday for the dollar). I plan to leave Europe the same way I plan to leave this world - if all goes as planned, the check to the undertaker will bounce!
I did check with United Airlines, and all fees are included in the ticket price. Which leaves only cab fare to be accounted for. Anything I buy at the airport (hopefully nothing) will be by credit card.
Thanks again for the replies.