Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's in fashion in Italy for this summer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to know what the fashion is in Italy for this summer, does anyone know, I want to bring the appropriate apparel, thanks!
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:08 AM

It is really more important to dress for the weather and situation, and to appear put together, than to worry about "fashion" so much.
I pack light, and I always use a trip as an excuse for a shopping trip. I pick a color scheme and pack only interchangeable outfits within that scheme.
You can "shop" from your own closet in the same way without spending money of course.
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:28 AM

What's fashionable for women under 30 is not the same as for women over. Women under 30 can get by with baby doll tops and leggings, and harem pants are everywhere. Women over will do best in broomstick skirts/nicely fitting lightweight bottoms, plus nice form fitting tops. Huge hip-slung belts are still popular.

For comfortable daytime wear in all age brackets (and even both sexes), simple athletic clothes are very popular and stylish. Yoga pants, stretch tops and hoodies for women, running pants and windbreakers over tee shirts for men, plus athletic shoes, are seen everywhere except in restaurants for dinner. Then it's best to switch the above. In most informal resturants in the evening, men can get by with a shirt, not tucked in, and comfortable trousers.
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:43 PM

woa, its still not summer by a long shot! Come with an empty suitcase and check out the markets for what is in this year.
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:29 PM

Judging by the Italian-speaking tourists I saw this past weekend in Rome, I would say that t-shirts and shorts are popular during the day, and jeans and casual clothes at night. Maybe 3 to 5% of the population I encountered could reasonably be classified as "fashionable".

Basically, think the Des Moines Mall on a random Saturday and you will pretty much fit in.
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:35 PM

Where I live, and the markets started selling summer clothes last week.
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Appropriate for what? Will you be going to formal events? The opera? the most upscale restaurant?

Or will you be traveling mid grade, with some nice but not uber upscale restaurants?

Or will you be traveling budget and casuale?

If you mean what is trendy at the moment - as opposed to being last year's style - then just have a look at some of the fashion magazies.
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:05 PM

I don't think it's that hard a question!

Harem pants are in! So are hoodies and athletic clothes. Over 30 ladies like a bit a flash and jangly jewelry at night, but otherwise everybody dresses casual. Michelle Obama wears casual clothes that would be fine in Italy.