What's Happening to Car Rental Rates

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a car rented for 19 days out of Frankfurt to include travel to Poland and Czech Rep for $595 in June. Today I called to get a rate for 13 days out of Amsterdam including no travel to Eastern European countries and got $697 in Sep/Oct. Both rentals are for mid-sized, manual, basic Insurance from Auto Europe. Pricing can't vary that much between AMS and FRA.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 09:52 AM

Eurotravler, are you planning to drop off the car in a country other than the Netherlands? There is usually a huge charge, over $300, for cross-border transactions. At least that was the case when I checked about renting a car in Portugal and dropping it off in Spain. If that is the case, you may want to consider returning the car to Amsterdam and taking other transportation to your departure point. We simply decided to rent one car in Portugal, drop it off there, take the train into Spain, and pick up a second car.
Hope this helps,
Carol
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Pick-up and drop-off for both rentals are at the airport - FRA/AMS
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 10:47 AM
mj

eurotraveler,
Rates vary by country. From experience, Germany almost always has the the lowest rates. Just did a quote on autoeurope from FRA (airport pickup/return) 9/25-10/8; VW Golf at $583, Passat at $641.

Also, I think it's too early for "deals" in Sept/Oct. timeframe. We've usually seen best rates on rentals starting ~45 days out.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 11:45 AM

There was an article in Wall Street Journal (I think) last week that basically said to expect ever higher prices for car rentals, especially in Europe. All the company's have downsized their fleets 20% or more and prices are expected to remain high unless demand for available inventory slackens.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 12:06 PM

Hi

From an insider !

Rental companies would like to have customers who don't know the regular price of car rental, use one of the big names direct, buy all the extras, and who rent for a longer period, but return to a different location. Lets face it, you give a cc up front and after that you are in their hands.

Regular users invariably have a corporate card giving rates up to 70% cheaper than the quoted rate.

Car rental rates depend on a number of factors :

Your choice, country of rental, etc:
Model, Duration, Unlimited mileage ?, Pick up location, Return location, Local sales tax, Local fuel cost, Personal accident insurance, collision damage waiver insurance, insured excess cost level, etc.
As a general rule the add ons can be about the same cost as the basic rental ......... and much more profitable to the rental company !

Cost of the car :
Cars cost more or less in different markets across Europe

Who are you renting from ? :
Most of the rental companies use franchisees, agents or brokers to generate higher volumes. Sometimes these agents (AutoEurope) can offer lower costs because of lower admin costs, more profitable contracts, etc

Market situation :
When car markets are depressed, manufacturers offer rental companies "better deals" to move surplus stock (often zero cost if returned after 6 months & less than 10,000 miles).
And when the travel business is depressed rental companies offer better deals to get more business.

Renter :
To get volume, rental companies may offer deals to renters from certain countries, companies, destinations, durations, affiliates (airlines, hotels, own trade cards etc), etc

Rental companies :
Many are independent, and have to pay to have "Avis" or "Hertz" in their window. Don't expect the same deal from local operators trading under the same franchise name. Don't think Avis in one town is closely allied with Avis in the next town. (I have a low cost Avis card.......... Many non city franchisees see the low cost and give me a 10 yr old banger !)

Collection / Delivery:
Given most of the operators are independent, any different return location costs money. (here, there is a substantial cost if you rent Avis from Nimes airport, return to Montpellier airport. Different franchisee, but less than 35 miles away !) Different country, costs even more money !

So, you need to prepare exact requirements and use internet quote systems to find the lowest cost deal.
As a general rule :
Get the smallest (cheapest) car for your needs
In Europe, diesel makes sense. Up to 30% cheaper at the pump .......... up to 50% better miles per gallon (l/100km !)
Collect and return in the same location
Use a standard vehicle listed for your rental location (non standard cars such as auto) may be more expensive)
Check brokers such as AutoEurope

If you are from outside EU, and you need a car for more than a couple of weeks, check the costs of car leasing

Hope that helps

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com