What's great about Italy in October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. My Husband and I are taking our first trip to Italy. Will be staying 3 weeks (he's in Rome a week prior on a conference. Another couple is joining us for part of the trip. We start in Rome, then planning to stay for a week in Tuscany, followed by Vencie and from there are plans are open.

Will the grape harvests still be underway in October? Any cautions? Advantages of being there in October?

BTW, returned from Paris a few weeks ago - thanks to all for the great advice - including finding flourless chocolate cake at a Patisserie to accomodate my sweet tooth and wheat allergy!

Looking forward to Fodorites suggestions for this trip!
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 08:51 AM
ira

Hi bev,

>...returned from Paris a few weeks ago...are taking our first trip to Italy [in Oct].<

I am much too jealous to give you any advice.

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Hello Ira, Paris was following a work trip in London - my husband left at home with oral surgery (!). Now he has to "work" in Rome. We're trying to make the most out of these opportunities while they last
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 09:27 AM

The weather is just perfect. You can leave the windows open and take advantage of the fresh air at night. I was there last October and if I return I'd do so in October.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks LindainFL
What part of Italy were you in? We're wondering if we should plan Venice early in the itinerary before exploring southern Tuscany for example.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 10:11 AM

We were in Italy last Oct. We planned our trip from North to South and it worked out great. It was quite warm (80 in Rome)the second week of Oct. but that was unusual. It was a wonderful time to visit Italy.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 11:07 AM

October is a great month for visiting Italy. We've been there twice in October--early-to-midmonth in Bologna and Tuscany and late month in Milan and Lake Como. Both times, the weather was wonderful.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 11:51 AM

bev3,
Try Montalcino at the end of October. See http://www.montalcino-tuscany.it/sagra_del_tordo.htm
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 12:06 PM

I love Italy in October because the mornings and evenings are very cool, and the afternoons are extremely pleasant in temperature. I loved sleeping with the windows open, under several layers of blankets. To this day when I step outside in the early morning and it's slightly cold, I immediately think about getting up early in Italy, reading for a brisk walk around the city.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 12:12 PM

No crowds! \/

Happy journey, Tiff
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 01:04 PM

IMO, October is the second best month to visit Italy. The best month is May.
October brings smaller tourist swarms (even though there are still lots of tourists in the major centers, its more bearable). The weather is usually pleasant (bring sweater and light jacket for evenings).
The days are not too short, though not as long as summertime when daylight prevails until 2030 or so.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 02:27 PM

just curious, where in Tuscany are you staying?
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 04:15 PM

I would definitely suggest checking the weather sites prior to leaving/packing from home. Several years ago I went in the Fall (October) and Europe was experiencing a heat spell (especially hot in Rome). It was so darn hot that everyone on the trip was buying T-shirts on the street! We had all (45 people) brought cool weather clothes. Another time in October in Germany it was so cool that my friend had to buy a coat.

Normally, I think May or October are the best travel months but weather is so unpredictable that nowadays I would check it out before packing.

Yes, you can buy stuff to keep cooler or warmer, but who needs that added expense?
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 05:25 PM

Grape harvest can be third or fourth week of September and onwards of a couple of weeks. Depends on the rainfall etc.Weather in Oct is nice as mentioned above. Also less crowds to deal with. Enjoy!
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 07:03 PM

Early October, 1999:

Hot in Rome; we wore summer clothes.

Rainy in Assisi

Cold in Perugia; we had to buy winter jackets.

Pleasant and moderate temps in Florence

Foggy and moderate temperatures in Venice

If I were to return in October, I would pack layers and a warm sweater/jacket. Since then, we always travel with super warm, super light weight silk long sleeved undershirts
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 07:04 PM

I forgot: there was a terrific foot race in medieval costume, with bands playing and more, in Florence, in early October. This was well worth seeking out.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - here in Canada we hate to see summer end, but after reading the posts, I starting to look forward to October!

Nike, we haven't decided where to stay yet. Wondering if it is worthwhile to spend a whole week from the same base or if we should divide time between staying in North and South - any suggestions? We are two couples. Last year we had a gite in Provence which worked well from St Remy. Would we find a similar situation with easy drives to other villages from a central place?
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 07:10 AM

October is perfect. You could not have picked a better time. Enjoy. If you are museum types and plan to go to the Uffizi or Academe (sp) in Florence don'f forget that you can make telephone reservations. They are inexpensive tom make and could save you quite a bit of time.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:15 AM

Three things:

1) Eat lots of porcini - October is in the midst of the porcini season, a mushroom known as Cep in France, "king" Bolete in the states, and Porcini in Italia . . . beloved because of its texture and flavor.
2) Book special tours at the Vatican. You can do this by writing via e-mail from the states.
Tel: (06) 6988 3860. Fax: (06) 6988 5061.
I especially suggest the La Scavi tour, which takes you deep into the bowels of an ancient Roman funereal city excavated during WWII underneath St. Peter's basilica in an effort to unravel the mysteries of St. Peter's final resting place . . . unforgetable. The garden tour is lovely and is where you can get the best views of the basilica.
3) The Villa Borghese Museum - In my opinion, this is one of the loveliest museums in Rome. The villa has beautiful frescos and faux embelishments and houses Canova sculptures that bring marble to life.

Have fun!

JK
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:17 AM

Chestnuts roasting on street corners - buying a bag of piping hot nuts to snack on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -