What's good in western Germany??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - here's our situation: I have convinced my husband to go on yet another trip before we go back to the US in Sept. This time we are headed to Amsterdam. Amsterdam is a 10-hour drive from our home in France, and that's too far for a one-day trip, so we'll break it in half and probably stay in Luxembourg. (anything interesting to see there??)

THEN - after Amsterdam, we'd like to come back south on a different route, thru Germany. We would need to stay on the western edge of Germany, so as not to go too far out of the way and to keep driving distances down (my husband's biggest complaint). SO...can anyone tell me if there's anything interesting to see in that region? I read briefly about Dusseldorf and Bonn, and neither sound terribly appealing. Let me just say that we have been travelling for the last 9 months and we are both quite sick of big cities and can't do museums with our 2-year-old. So...that being said...please let me know what you think. Baden Baden sounded interesting, but not sure if we could do much with the child. Any thoughts on that??

Thanks, as always,

Wesch
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 05:53 AM

From luxembourg you can visit trier, then drive up the mosel river and down the rhine river.

I was in luxembourg 2 years ago. we spent one night then the next morning we drove through the countryside visited the american military cemetry and drove along the banks of the mosel. You could stay somewhere along the mosel cochem is nice, then next day make it up to the rhine, stay in st goar, explore that area for a day and then head back.

I drove from St goar Germany to Paris via Reims another great little town. Also stopped in verdun along the way.

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 06:17 AM

Trier and the Mosel and the castles along the Rhein are quite lovely, and I'm sure I would enjoy myself quite well there as a 2 year old. The baths in Baden-Baden could be fun, depending on what the little one thinks of water/swimming. If you go to one of the large baths though, you'll want the Caracalla Therme, not the Friedrichsbad. It seems much more kid friendly, what with the dress code at the Friedrichsbad. Down further into the Black Forest, I hear there's a good open air museum called the Vogtsbauernhof with "living history" type displays and craftwork demonstrations of the area. The zoo here in Karlsruhe is nice, but not really special enough I'd make a point to go see it. Hrm... I haven't travelled here with young children at all, so I've no other ideas.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:41 AM

Wesch -

There are several places that you can stay while travelling through Luxembourg on your way to Amsterdam.

Luxembourg City is quite interesting, for it's geographical beauty. There is plenty of open space for a 2 year old to run around in, and perhaps exploring the Bock Casemates with his Dad would be something he might enjoy. We stayed at the Hotel Carlton, which was a nice business hotel, near the train station (we road the rails on our travels). Doubles were going for E90.00 last year. Info on Hotel Carlton and Luxembourg can be found at:

www.carlton.lu
www.luxembourg-city.lu
www.luxembourg.co.uk
www.ont.lu
www.visitluxembourg.com

For a more out of the way, exquisitly quaint town, check out Vianden. They have a wonderful castle on top of the hill overlooking this beautiful little town. They have a chairlift which takes you from town to the castle (it was closed when we were there so we walked up the hill, or you can drive). We enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Victor Hugo (22 rooms) which cost E68.00 for a double (2003 rates). Information can be found at:

www.hotel-victor-hugo.lu
www.castle-vianden.lu
www.tourist-info-vianden.lu

A little further north in Luxembourg (which isn't really that far since it's such a small country) it the town of Clervaux and it's lovely Chateau. I would highly recommend to anyone passing through the area to take the time and view the wonderful photographic exhibition, "The Family of Man", located in the chateau. Created by Edward Steichen in 1955 for the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the exhibit consists of 503 photographs from 68 countries representing life, death, love, marriage, child bearing, celebrations, evil, our environment, cultures, religious, etc., etc... Absolutely awe inspiring!!! However, I don't know if you would really enjoy it with a 2 year old in tow. There is also a Battle of the Bulge Museum at the chateau, but we spent too much time at the Family of Man exhibit, we never did get to see it. Info on Clervaux can be found at:

www.tourisme-clervaux.lu

Just a warning about driving into Amsterdam.....parking is VERY limited so I would make sure that you have arrangements for the car prior to arriving.

As far as Germany, I haven't been there yet, but have been doing some planning for our next trip. Perhaps when you leave Amsterdam you might want to enter Germany via Arnhem, where you can take an elevator to the top of the Grote of Eusebuskerk for a lovely view of Holland, Germany and the Rhine River. You can then follow the Rhine south of Cologne and explore the Rhine and/or Mosel River regions.

What a wonderful way to spend some time in September before heading back to "the States". Enjoy your travels and have a safe trip. Peace.

Robyn

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all! (and thanks Robyn about the parking in Amsterdam)

For those that have been to Baden Baden, any hotel recommendations? Less than 120 euros/night, please.

Thanks!
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 11:42 AM

I've no clue on Baden-Baden hotels, since I just daytripped in (only about 40 minutes), but I'm pretty sure there's a fair number of posts on the subject if you search these boards.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 11:57 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Sarbacher http://www.hotel-sarbacher.de/

It's about 12-15 miles outside of Baden-Baden, up on the top of a mountain. It was comfortable and only about 80-90 Euro, including breakfast. We also had a great dinner there. Lots of hiking trails down the road, and one directly across the road.

Here's the translation of the above link: http://translate.google.com/translat...D%26ie%3DUTF-8

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 12:15 PM

The Quellenhof is about a minute's walk from the Caracalla spa and a double room with king bed, large bath, sofabed (or a child bed) and balcony costs just a tad over your budget--about 130 euros per night (which includes large breakfast buffet). However, the decor is modern decor, not old fashioned charm.
We've been to Baden-Baden several times. I don't really think of it as a child-friendly place, but there are some things to do with a child...a few nice parks, etc. I would check to see if a child that young would be allowed in the spas.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 03:01 PM

The Mosel River is an excellent suggestion. We were there in June of 2002 and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.