Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's fun to do in the Algarve (Portugal)???

Old Jun 18th, 1997, 11:45 AM
kelly

Does anyone have ideas about the places to visit in the Algarve region. Is there enough to do to spend 2 weeks there? What is your favourite part of the region?

Old Jun 19th, 1997, 06:02 PM
brenda

I will be hosting a boy from Portugal this next
school year. He is from the resort town of Faro
which I understand is in that area of Portugal.
Several of my prior exchange sons and daughters have
been to Faro and it appears to be a very popular
resort area with nice beaches. If it is that popular
there must be other things to do as well. You might
check into that particular city. Have fun!!!

Old Jun 26th, 1997, 10:11 PM
jim cirka

The prettiest, unspoiled town in the Algarve is in the eastern part, just before the Spainish border. The town is Tavira. It is a great seafood place, cafes along the river, and great places to stay. Another unspoiled and undiscovered spot is the very small village of Salem. The town comes out to help the fishermen bring in their catch as well as assist them in hauling their brighly coloured boats ashore. There is great accomodation in hotels, motels, or just walk around town and someone will ask if you need a room. It is a very relaxing spot, with not much to do except relax, but Tavira has more night life if that is what you are seeking. If you have a car, get off the main road and explore along with a good map and you will greatly enjoy your daily outings. Most of the tourists stay in the cities or towns, but to get the most out of your vacation, take the back roads. A compass is also helpful.

Old Jul 1st, 1997, 11:37 AM
Brian Abbishaw

The Algarve is for relaxing in! The beaches are superb and the western reaches are among the quietest beaches anywhere in Europe if not the world. Roads have improved greatly in the last few years thanks to an influx of funds from the European Community. English is spoken almost everywhere. There are a number of small towns worth a visit. ALbufeira is in the centre of the region, has some nightlife and a huge number of good restaurants. Try La Poeta next to the fishermans beach - the fish soup is great and the dry white wine from the barrel is even better.

Watch out for the locals - they all look like extras from The Godfather but are charming.

The fish market is on most mornings in Lagos (pronounced LAGOASH) where there are locally grown chillies for sale (piri piri - the origin of the Portuguese sauce for chicken) strung in long necklace like strings. You may also find recycled wine bottles filled with the local spirit called Aguardente.

Trains are generally quite good if a little rare - you can go from Algarve to Seville by train, crossing the border into Spain.

Loule is away from the sea and is a good example of a country town unaffected by the tourist boom. It hosts a great market where local people sell their produce - be it fish, cheese or veg.

At all costs avoid the Gypsy Markets which are touted by travel agents everywhere. They are tourist trap rip offs.

Portimao has hundreds (it seems) of open air cafes all selling the local speciality - sardines (not from tins) salad and potatoes - served with a bottle of wine they make a great lunch and cost very little. You sit at a table overlooking the harbour.

email me if you want more info

Old Jul 8th, 1997, 01:06 PM
Maria

My husband and I traveled to the Algarve a couple years ago. My favorite town was Albufeira, it sits up on the rocks and it's just beautifull at nightime, there are a lot of great restaurants and even more English pubs. Almost everywhere you go in the Algarve they speak english. One of the nicest beaches I've been to is Praia da Rocha, it also has restaurants right on the beach. There's lots of golf courses, water parks. Another nice city to visit there is Armacao de Pera, very pretty.
The restaurants there are also great. Try the portuguese "vinho verde", this is a very young white wine that is very refreshing after a day at the beach. I'm originally from Portugal. Feel free to e-mail me with any specific questions.