What's Closed in France on Holidays?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be arriving in Paris (a trip delayed from March) April 30th and departing France on May 16th.
It appears that I'll have 2 extra days of "closures" there, holidays May 1 and May 8. We'll be in Provence at the end of the trip.
Anyone out there who knows how it will affect shops, restaurants and museums?
Thanks so much!
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 05:20 PM

I love being in Paris on the 1st/8th. If the weather is nice, everyone is out, kids in the parks, etc. If there is a specific museum you are interested in, I would seek out the website, but otherwise, I don't think it will pose a problem.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 06:10 AM
ira

ttt
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
May 1st is the sacred day. Everything will be closed, except the Eiffel Tower and the bateaux-mouches (and of course cafés and restaurants that want to make money, cinemas, etc.). Anybody who works on May 1st receives both 200% salary AND a compensatory day off.
You will see people selling muguet (lily of the valley) everywhere. Buying it on May 1st ensures good luck for the rest of the year.
Depending on the outcome of the first round of the presidential election, May 1st could be a very important day. 5 years ago, when the racist, fascist National Front candidate made it to the second round, 2 million people demonstrated in the traditional labor union march on May 1st (usually, they are lucky to have 100,000 participants). If ever the same thing happens this year, by all means go to see the march -- it is an illustration of French democracy at its best.
As for May 8th, no big deal. Everything will be open except administrative offices, schools, post offices and other such things. Monuments, museums and stores will all be open.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 06:52 AM

We were there on May 1 a few years back, and almost everything was closed - including the Louvre & other museums. I think Ch Chantilly was open.

Stu Dudley