Reload this Page >

what's closed Bastille Day

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2001, 09:12 AM
lynn

Hi everyone: <BR> <BR>Just trying to plan our day on 14th July. I imagine shops are closed but what about tourist spots. We are hoping to see the Vimy Ridge Memorial........what do you think..will it be closed? <BR>Any help greatly appreciated. <BR>Regards, <BR>Lynn

Old May 23rd, 2001, 10:02 AM
Rex

If it's tourist-oriented, it will probably be open. And virtually no one will know what you mean if you use the term "Bastille Day" (or attempt to express this in French) - - it's Fete National (National Holiday), or simply le quatorze juillet. <BR> <BR>The only time I have been in France on 14 July was in the Queyras (near Grenoble), and I was surprised that even little gift shops were open. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old May 23rd, 2001, 01:26 PM
joe

I was in Paris and Auxerre on Bastille day 1999. Only a few cafes and restaurants were open. Last year, during another important national holiday, Veterans Day,everything was open and the streets were alive. Go figure.

Old May 24th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Christina

I would guess that will be open. Isn't it staffed by Canada, anyway? If so, I really would expect it to be open.

Old May 24th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Jody

Christina is correct, Vimy is staffed by young Canadian college students who come out for 6 month stays. They are most informed guides and are delightful. You are in for a great emotional experience if this is your first visit to the WW1 battlefields, it can change your whole concept of war when you see the miles and miles of cemetaries, and the fields still scarred after over 80 years. we have been to Picardie 3 times and return in October this year.

Old May 24th, 2001, 04:44 PM
lynn

Thanks everyone for your answers. I appreciate your time. <BR>We are aware that the Vimy Memorial is staffed by young Canadians during the summer and are looking forward to seeing this site and the gravesite of a great uncle in a nearby cemetary. <BR>We were concerned about it's being open on a National Holiday. Since it is in France we weren't sure of local and national laws regarding opening/closings. Since I requested information on this board we have made a call to the Department of Veterans Affairs who manage the memorial just to make sure. <BR>At this time the Ottawa office is still researching the answer for us. <BR>Again many thanks. <BR>Regards, <BR>Lynn