Reload this Page >

What would you do?

Search

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 03:19 PM
jeanne

What would you do?

I am meeting my daughter in Frankfurt to travel around the area for 6 days after she finishes up a summer program at the Goethe Institue. It will be the last week of July into the first of Aug. This will be my first visit to Germany. We don't have much time and our funds are limited. We both have an interest in music and nature. I think we might also enjoy seeing some of Austria or Switzerland. It sounds like we should travel by train for the best value. I'm willing to be ambitious about travelling around but I'm not sure what is reasonable to plan - I want to be able to enjoy and explore a little rather than rush through a city a day. So, if anyone would like to advise us, I would appreciate any feedback you might offer. Thanks!

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 04:41 PM
xxx

Personally Germany is my least favorite of the 12 European countires that I've visited. Rude people and not much in terms of scenery. I'd suggest hopping on the train and heading to one of the more scenic adjacent countries. Austria is beautiful, as well as Switzerland.

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Art

Germany is one of my favorite countries. Southern Germany is beautiful with a lot to see. <BR>From Frankfurt you could easily take a Rhein cruise. There are quite a few castles along the way that you can visit. You could to that in a day and then take the train to the Munic and spend several days in that area. King Kudwigs castle Neuschwanstin is in that area as ar Hoenswangau (his farthers castle) Linderhof Ludwigs chateau, Oberammergau, Garmish (from Garmish take the cable car up to the Zugspitche - the highest point in Germany) You could catch the train to Salzberg for a day - a charming city. You could visit Dachau - the first Nazi concentration camp - somewhat depressing but well worth the experiance. Visit the museums in Munich. Possibly take a train to the Black Forest (Swarch Vald) for a day trip. Almost forgot, visit Heidelberg on you way to Munich. Those should fill your days without moving around to much. <BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Ann

Jeanne, I'm sure your daughter will have many ideas and things to share with you after her summer experience - try them! If you want to do more, and since you say you enjoy music, I would agree with Art that Heidelberg would be a nice stop for you. During the time you're there, The Student Prince will be performed inside the castle (actually AT the castle but not inside, unless it's bad weather... pretty spectacular entrance as the prince comes wheeling up in his carriage!). It's a great production, nothing serious, obviously, but always well-performed. It's July 6-August 31 this year, but you should plan ahead for tickets. There are also SO MANY concerts in parks and churches throughout Germany that are free or very low cost and they will stay in your memory forever. Since this is your first trip and you have only six days, you might want to stay in the general area of Frankfurt. You really won't have enough time to do justice to Bavaria, I don't think... do plan on staying in pensions or small gassthauses. They are quite comfortable, the people are so friendly and will help you with sightseeing if you ask, and you will get to know more of the "real" Germany that you daughter has had the chance to experience (in Rothenburg, I assume?). I would suggest that you leave Frankfurt and go straight to Heidelberg for the day (an easy trip on the train from the terminal), see the play that night if possible, then go west to the Mosel to stay in Trier, go north along the river, stopping at some small wine village to spend two nights (NOT Cochem!) and do some touring (be sure to see Burg Eltz, but do skip the tour of the Reichsburg at Cochem - it's better from a distance). You should be able to find concerts in Trier and possibly at a fest along the Mosel; then travel south along the Rhine (by train is fine, you still get the view!) and stay there for the last night or two before you return. There are hostels as well as hotels in some of the castles on the Rhine, so you might want to check those out, they're much less expensive and still a great experience. And you will have the option of hiking/biking along the Mosel, which is set up just for that and is FLAT terrain (good for older hikers like me). Let me know if you need specific help or have questions. You'll love Germany.

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 08:52 AM
fred

i would suggest that your daughter contact ulrich curten at the goethe institute. he and his wife carol could give you lots of suggestions for travel in germany. ulrich is a native and in charge on the language programs at the institute. they are friends of mine-say the reference is fred and sue usa. luck