Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What would children enjoy seeing and doing in Finland and in the Munich ara?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 09:22 AM
Byrd

Our son and his family are going to Finland and to the Munich area in June and July. The children (girl 7 and boy 3) have not been to Europe, and the parents are looking for suggestions of things they might enjoy. Thanks for any ideas!

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 09:54 AM
merriem

I don't know where you will be in Finland, but they can go see "Santa Claus Land"....up north, and it is quite interesting....they receive almost 1 million letters from children all over the world.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 10:39 AM
Byrd

That sounds great! They will be in Helsinki and Lappeenranta, where our son will be working for several days. They hope to go to St. Petersburg, then to Germany, where our daughter-in-law has relatives in the Munich area. "Santa Claus Land" sounds like something they would really love!

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 11:26 AM
JW

If they will be in Helsinki, then Suomenlinna Fortress is something to check out. It is a collection of small islands just off the coast. It take about 15 minutes by boat to get there. <BR>This was a defensive fortress several hundred years ago, and now is a nice park.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 11:42 AM
Pete

In Munich I would recommend the Deutches Musuem -- It is a science musuem with a good number of Interactive displays -- it is huge and would take up the good portion of a day to see. <BR> <BR>Many people day trip to the Neuschwanstein castle which is about 1.5 - 2 hours away. It is the castle that the Walt Disney castle was alleged to have been based on. Also check out the Glockenspiel at Munichs town Hall -- it is wonderful watch.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 02:55 PM
Lisa

Thanks for the info. I am the Mom of the two children. Has anyone been to Santa Claus Land?? When my husband was there in March he heard that they were laying off Santas?????