What to wear to the Opera

Aug 21st, 2005, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

What to wear to the Opera

For the Teatro del Opera in Rome, for a Sunday performance, what is acceptable attire?
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:23 PM

Of course, darling, you would wear your tiara. You do have one, don't you? I can't remember what I did with my bloody tiara.
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:37 PM

Is it in the afternoon?
I used to go to the opera here in the States on Sunday afternoon it was usually a senior citizen crowd. A dress or nice slacks will be fine. No need for a tiara in the afternoon.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

To ThinGorjus, look in the drawer that has your tutus.

Please, can someone who has been to an opera reply?
Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:12 PM

Can only comment on attendance at a recent performance of "Turandot" in Barcelona...everything from coats and ties, to coats and no ties on the men to over the top to dressy casual on the women.

The "People of Peking" on the stage, on the other hand, looked like a bunch of serfs in scrub suits.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Intrepid1. Sounds like it is just like the US.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:12 PM

Sorry, sweetie, but as someone who lived and worked in Manhattan, I have been to the Met many times. Also been to Teatro Colon in Buenos Aires, Covent Garden, Statsoper in Vienna, and Paris Opera. I was being sarcastic because I can't believe anyone would be so green as not to know what to wear to an opera. Where do you live, Kansas?? Bye, Dorothy.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:48 PM

We went to La Fenice in Venice last year and while their were people their in dinner suits and long dresses they were far outnumbered by those of us still well dressed but in less formal attire. I would suggest a business type shirt and tie with a smart jacket/blazer and pants (not neccessarily a suit) for men. I wore tailored black pants, a plain black top and threw a large dressy scarf / shawl on to dress it up.

We didn't want to pack a whole set of clothes just for one night out and we certainly didn't feel underdressed.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:14 PM

I agree with nice, but not overboard. Especially for a matinee. Nice pants outfit, or a comfortable dress, for women, and a casual suit/blazer/dress pants for men, should be fine. Which opera are you seeing? Have fun!!
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:18 PM

We were in Milan before La Scala closed for renovations 4 years ago and wore a pant suit and took my rain coat (April) and my husband wore a sport jacket and tie(+ rain coat). We were average dressed. Only "openings" SUGGEST fancy dress! Europe welcomes every class that appreciates opera! NOW, THAT'S CLASS!!!
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Hey ThinGorjus, while you are in that drawer, look for your broom.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks delor and amp332 and Maryk for informative replies. We are going to see the Marriage of Figaro. Although I have enjoyed listening to the music, it's the first opera I will have ever seen. (If ThinGorjus had paid attentiion and read that in my first posting I'm sure she would not have been so "sarcastic.")
Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:53 PM

It's a gay man, not a female that you are discussing. Doesn't that explain everything?
Aug 23rd, 2005, 03:10 PM

Tinling, My husband and I are going to the theatre (Les Miserable) in London in September, and the only thing I plan on bringing that I wouldn't have otherwise is a black skirt to add to an existing pair of hose and shoes -- flats even!

I'm agreed that opening nights indicate more of a dress-up (I went to the Phantom of The Opera at the Paramount Theater on opening night in Seattle after the theater itself was re-opened as well...it was a star-studded event that required evening wear and tuxes) I was lucky to know someone who wanted to take me as I don't usually have those kinds of connections.

Anyway, I'd dress nicely -- like you're going to an evening wedding that isn't too formal, and let it go at that -- if it's in the fall, I'd probably go with black or a dark color like navy. I find I'd rather be a tad underdressed in most social situations than over-dressed.

Settle down Mary(s). Good lord. The poor person just asked a question, he/she didn't need to get involved in a b*tchfest.

Jules
Aug 23rd, 2005, 03:22 PM

Thingorjus, very naughty, aren't you? But fun. Keep up the mischief. I love it.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:23 PM
Fairhope

We went to a Sun matinee in Florence last fall and I wore a sportscoat with black t shirt and my wife wore a pants and top. The woman next to my wife started a conversation in Italian with her so we must not have looked too strange. Where what you have and enjoy the fantastic people watching!!

Sep 2nd, 2005, 11:34 PM

Hi ThinGorjus - There's nothing wrong with being green - especially when you ask for advice. You've had to experience the opera for the first time once before, too, right?

Anyways, I thought I'd provoke some smiles... by letting you know that I'll be wearing tennis shoes to an evening performance at La Scala in 9 days. And I'll be on the main floor enjoying every minute.

Hope all the other opera goers, like Tinling, have fun!
Sep 3rd, 2005, 01:07 AM

Comments. Dress depends on the seat location. Stall or box seat patrons are usually in semi-formal clothing. Students in the upper balconies are in jeans and T shirts. Next. Who are you attending with? Courting male? Courted female? Business customer? A neighborhood group? Old married couple?
Why not call the Opera and inquire? Tuxedoes are a low cost male uniform for semi-formal events. A knee length black dress may do for the lady. Another consideration. Where will go before the opera and after the opera?
Dress also depends on the weather.
Sep 3rd, 2005, 04:29 AM
rfb

Have not been to the Opera in Rome but I have been in Paris and dress runs the gamut as it does in the US. I think the key is to wear something that you are comfortable with and not worry about how others are dressed. Unless you select something really extreme, it's unlikely that you'll be the only one dressed that way.

I wore jeans in Paris because it was a spur of the moment decision and that was all I had. Nobody had a problem with it.

Sep 3rd, 2005, 10:34 AM

Here's a take on 3 European opera experiences:

1. Teatro Massimo, Palermo, Bellini's I Capuleti E I montecchi--Absolutely everyone made the effort to be well dressed--suits, dresses, jewelry --although to our eyes in a very provincial way. You would certainly stand out here in sneakers and jeans.
M wore navy blazer, tan dress pants, shirt, tie. I wore Armani black pantsuit, carried bronze Botega cluch.

2. Aix-En -Prvence Festival-Opening night--Janacek's Vec Makropulous--Everyone well dressed in a French country bumpkin way. Possibly more casual on regular nights. M wore same as above, I wore Chanel cotton
sweater, pants, botega bronze clutch.

3. Amsterdam, Concertgebouw, Orchestra cocert--This was one of the best dressed, well heeled audiences that I have ever seen. The men wore good well tailored dark suits, the women, stylish suits, dresses. This was a great surprise as the Dutch generaly dress so very casual. M wore suit. (winter uniform--2 others were summer) I wore same as Palermo.

At all 3, everyone made the effort to dress. A tip for women--if you take with you a small evening clutch, you can upgrade most casual clothes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO