What to wear in Paris

Search

What to wear in Paris

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to wear in Paris

I visited Paris in June of 2002 and was also a bit concerned about what to wear, believing that I should be fashionable and not wear sneakers.

Paris is one of the most beautiful and walkable cities in the world, and I, like a fool, decided to NOT bring sneakers. It was a HUGE mistake. Not only do many Parisians wear jeans and tennis shows, but the fact that I deliberately choose not bring either meant that I trod all over the city with swollen, painful feet - all in the name of fashion.

Furthermore, I didn't want to look like a tourist - and believe me, not matter what you look like, if you're not French, you look like a tourist.

I was stupid - don't make the same mistake. Bring layers, bring jeans, bring sneakers and spend your energy learning a bit of French.
Old May 15th, 2003, 09:20 AM

Basically, I agree that people should wear whatever they want. I don't like it when people dress like slobs in nice restaurants, ballet, etc, I'll admit, it just ruins the ambience, but other than that, I don't care what people wear.

However, your premise that you cannot have comfortable shoes and avoid blisters unless you wear sneakers is wrong because I have never worn them on trips and have never gotten blisters, etc. I only own one pair that I wear to go to the grocery store, etc. I don't ever wear them in normal situations even at home, such as going to museums. I just don't find them that comfortable myself, a good walking shoe is a lot more comfortable, better looking, and takes up less space.
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:40 AM

I suspect the moral of the story is :Wear comfortable shoes...they don't have to be sneakers...just make sure they're comfortable.
Small things like blisters can totally ruin a trip.
Old May 15th, 2003, 12:26 PM

I always know that I've made a new place a "home" when I feel comfortable enough to express my own style, not just mimic the style of those around me.

Of course, I take on the ideas of the culture -- like a better way of tying a scarf or a cuter way to wear tall boots -- but once I feel like I can wear my *own* style, that's when I know that I have truly arrived in a new land.
Old May 15th, 2003, 05:06 PM

I agree, wear what you want. Everytime I go to Europe I see that in Europe jeans are more fashionable and worn by more people than here in the USA. I work in the fashion industry and the trend of fashion jeans is coming directly from Paris, Rome and London. Nike's are all over Paris. All I have to say is to exercise good judgement when going to a restaurant and leave the jogging suits and flowery sweatshirts at home!
Old May 15th, 2003, 06:04 PM

Of course, you can present yourself any way you like, anywhere you go.

For sure, anything imaginable is just fine at/in all the touristy sights and neighborhoods.

Actually, you can find much more comfortable (along with more attractive and "fashionable&quot footwear than sneakers, which are extremely heavy and wear your feet out more quickly, and tend to make them swell from the effort.

And, a nice pair of black/tan/white cotton/linen/wool slacks or a skirt is just as "comfortable" (if not more so) than a pair of jeans.

Truth is, whenever you wander into a bistro or boutique in Paris, the reception, service/attentiveness, is definitely different if you're wearing your jeans and huge white sneakers(along with a back/fanny pack) than if you "blend".

Your *own* style won't necessarily "work" in Paris, where they appreciate the "latest" and/or "classic" forms of presentation.

Old May 16th, 2003, 03:52 AM

You may find this hard to believe, but many Parisians wear sneakers. If you visit on a weekend (when the French are not in their formal work clothes), most of the French people you see will have sneakers on.

I never understand why American visitors to Europe feel they have to dress up. I live in the Boston area, which gets a lot of European tourists. Whenever I see them, they are wearing sneakers!

Wear whatever makes you comfortable. If you wear uncomfortable shoes, it will ruin your vacation.
Old May 16th, 2003, 04:27 AM

When I first started working in Paris I was amazed to find that many of my French colleagues even wore jeans and sneakers to the office. I even went to a wedding where a number of guests (not just the young people) were attired in jeans.
Old May 16th, 2003, 04:31 AM

To Minn.Beth
I don't think that anyone here would have advised you to bring painful shoes, in fact usually the opposite is stressed, that it is very important to bring and wear comfy shoes, and even wear them at home for several days in a row to make sure.

I also don't think that anyone said that if you didn't bring sneakers or tried to be fashionable, no one would know you were a tourist.

I'm sorry that you had swollen feet, and hope you will be comfortable next time, but jeans and sneakers are not the only way to go. Not that there's anything wrong with that.