What to Wear in Europe in the Spring

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aloha! My sister and I will be taking our first ever trip to Europe in mid-March for our cousins wedding in Portugal. We also will be going to Paris, Barcelona, London and Rome and are clueless on what to pack and what to wear. We know regardless of what we wear we will look like tourists, I just want to know what I should prepare for clothing wise since our wardrobe here in Hawaii consists mostly of shorts, tank tops, and light clothing in general. I mean we have nice clothes, but nice clothes in Hawaii is a little different from other places. HELP!
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 10:50 PM

Something warm. I've been going to Paris, in the spring, March and April for many decades. Last March, 2008, I was really cold. I'm from L.A. area. Even my Parisian friend, who's been there his whole life, was cold.

However, in Paris, in April 2005, the week before I arrived, I was told that it had snowed. The day I arrived it was so warm that folks were walking around in T-shirts. The weather is unpredictable, but I'd caution on the side that it will be cold and rainy.

But, I'd say you'd better layer and take a warm coat. I usually take my knee-length Burberry coat with the removable wool liner. Burberry can make a coat. Smiles. I have many of them. I also always take two, long-sleeved turtleneck tops, two cashmere, pullover sweaters, leather knee boots, and leather, cashmere-lined gloves. And never leave home without a sturdy umbrella when going to Europe. I've been going almost annually since the early 70s and the first thing I pack is an umbrella, even in summer as I lived in Scandinavia for 20-plus years of summer and it was always raining. So imagine spring. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 01:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
March is still considered to be quite chilly in Paris (with a few exceptions from time to time). Bright colors are not worn until the weather makes a marked improvement.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 01:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Layers is the best answer as most of these places are pretty changeable.

Issues for certain buildings. It is not appropriate to wear shorts, bright shirts, expose bellies etc in churches or mosques (yes some are open to none muslims), in some you may even be expected to cover hair (women mainly). Better restaurants would expect a man to wear a jacket in the evening (dullish would do)and at least slacks, and socks with shoes.

Tank tops left the European market in about 1970 so I suggest no. You will also find europeans walk a great deal. This is because their city centres are desgined for walking ratther than driving so do not assume you want to rent a car as there may be no where to park it. Despite this yu will be assumed to be carrying a small umbrella, a rain hat and a waterproof coat.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 02:07 AM

Just popping in to ask Guenmai to post her photo and profile--and anyone else to do the same. As I was reading this post, I realized that my picture of her as a man was probably incorrect. The profile part of this new forum format has been revelationary to say the least. Please join in the fun.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 02:09 AM

You too kerouac and bilbo. Would love to see what you two look like.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 03:56 AM

I second the recommendations for waterproof clothing or a good umbrella, along with a warm coat. March in France and the UK can be that kind of rainy-cold that can be miserable if not adequately dressed.

As for looking like a tourist... I wouldn't worry. Jeans are always a safe bet. For the most part, I don't see much difference in the way most people dress in those countries than in most of the US - but leave the Hawaiian print shirts at home.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 05:02 AM

Hi Guenami,

Not so long ago, I was asking the exact same question! Four European trips and WONDERFUL advice from fellow Fodorites, this is my best advice: a fitted trench coat. Always stylish and it can be quite warm when put on top of a cashmere sweater (not to mention waterproof and wind blocking). Dark wash jeans and comfortable shoes. (I am not a fan of work out type sneakers in a city, however, you can find other comfortable shoes.) I would also take a pair of well fitted black pants, nicer shoes, and some cuter tops if you are planning on going out to eat. Throw in a scarf in a brighter color, sunglasses, and some jewelry and you are good to go!

Oh, and don't forget your camera!!!!!

Best,
McAllister
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 05:47 AM

gloves, hat, scarf....I always travel with them because they take up no room (or, sometimes I buy a scarf when I'm there) I find I don't need as heavy a coat to lug around if my hands and head are warm! (and layer, of course, as said) March can be very, very winter-like. or, of course, you can get lucky and get sun! However, you will NOT need shorts or any type of summer beach wear in any of those spots in March. I don't know Barcelona - but all the others? you will want winter wear for sure...wool...long pants or skirts, etc. Check the weather averages at weather.com or one of the other sites and you'll have a better idea.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM

Julie- I'm all woman. Smiles. And I don't post my photo on the internet. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 02:21 AM

Very hard to predict. It could be fairly warm and sunny (but it won't be hot) or it could be miserable.

You won't really find any use for shorts etc.

So, jeans, trousers, skirts, t-shirts/tops (I think your tank top is what we'd call a vest or strappy T - small t shirt with just straps no sleeves? Probably not much opportunity to wear those in March), a couple of jumpers/sweaters/fleeces. You'll need a decent coat. A folding umbrella is useful unless you don't mind being rained on a bit (I never use one) as you'll probably be indoors most of the time. I wouldn't bother with hat/scarf/gloves until you get here - you may not need them and if you do, you can pick them up very cheaply.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 09:40 AM

Black, black, black -- that's what you will see most on the streets. I take black slacks, usually microfiber, with silk long johns to add if cold; one pair of dark jeans; one black and one colored cotton turtle neck; black cashmere V-neck pullover; a cardigan, either black or a color; several nylon/poly 3/4 sleeve colored tops that go with all that black; allweather coat (black of course!) with liner and hood; lightweight waterproof jacket; 2 pair of waterproof walking shoes; and a folding umbrella. Oh, yes, and a packable (light weight wool, poly) jacket-top which will look smart/dressy for special occasions and a scarf or two which will dress up and brighten up the black. Since it is likely you will experience cool-to-cold weather including rain, your coat may be the thing you are seen in the most, so what's under isn't so important so long as you are warm and dry. Layering, rather than heavy garments, is the key to warmth.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 12:02 PM

I agree with black. My 24 year old daughter lives in France and says COLOR is OUT. Goodbye to her cute red coat!

I am going actually in 3 weeks to Italy, doing the ROME MARATHON(Black pants for that!) and then to France. I'm actually looking for a mid to short length trench coat( with hood if possible and not too dorky). I'm in my mid 50's but fress smartly,(HAHAHA so I'm told)

Any ideas besides llBean and Lands End(a little too sporty) where to get this item?
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM

My response to all these "what to wear" threads is always that most people look better with clothes on than they do naked, so please wear your clothes.

I suggest you all buy yourselves new wardrobes before going to Europe so you don't look like tourists. Please remember, however, never to open your mouth and try to speak because your North American accent and poor skills in most any foreign language will reveal you ain't no European.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 12:17 PM

<i>I suggest you all buy yourselves new wardrobes before going to Europe so you don't look like tourists. Please remember, however, never to open your mouth and try to speak because your North American accent and poor skills in most any foreign language will reveal you ain't no European.</i>

But wearing COLOR makes it apparent earlier. I mean, my God. COLOR! Who knew? Somehow, despite having spent the last 3 years in Europe, I didn't get the memo. People dress the same in Europe as they do in New York or Boston or most other major, temperate US cities I have been to. The only exception is that old men feel compelled to wear cheap and worn suits with cheaper shoes in Europe, but if you are under the age of 75, then you will blend in fine.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 12:23 PM

travelgourmet, I am glad you recognized the sarcasm. Many people do not.

Wanna start a shoe thread so people can talk about how much they pay for their shoes?

How about one on Hermes scarves? I always wear mine (not really because I don't have one) with the label prominently displayed.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 12:31 PM

Fine with me. You do know that Hermes scarves are the only place that color is acceptable in Europe?

I suggest that all those who prattle on about "black is so in" check out the following:

http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/collectio...n,213,PSC.html

http://www.sand.dk/?id=20883

http://desigual.com/#/hombre/

Is there some black? Of course, black and brown are staples of US fashion too. But there is a lot of color there.

That bright red coat may make you stand out in Paris, but I suspect that was why one loved it in Peoria. Now, you get to the other side of the pond, and you are petrified of standing out? Silly.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Travelgourmet- You usually give me the laugh that I need for the day. Smiles.

And yes, I agree, that black and browns are staples just about anywhere. But this whole concept of one wearing black..black..and more black is a bit much for me. As a stable fine, but good lord, I'd be bored to tears without some color added in.

And personally, I'm not one to care what folks think as to what colors I wear. And I'd never stop wearing a good garment just because the fashion industry has dictated that it's now ,"out". It's now, "out" because they need to come up with something else that's, now "in" in order to make money. Now, if its something that's really dated, then that would be understandable. But, to wear a garment one season and then feel that one will need to chuck it, is just not something that I would do.

I love clothes and shopping for them, but invest in pieces that will go for many years. I'll also throw in a few fun, trendy, short-life things. I know that I dress quite well and pulled together wherever I go regardless of color or lack there of.

I also don't understand why Americans always stress out on what to wear in Europe. I know that the original poster isn't doing that, but is just asking a very valid question especially coming from Hawaii where dress is very different. But, year after year, there are threads on how to not look like a tourist, in Europe, and what to wear. Do people from other countries stress out so, about such, when they come here? I'm from L.A. area and I can usually pick the European, Asian, etc...tourists out of a crowd, and very easily, but so what. They are just what they are..."tourists". Happy Travels!
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi manahalea,

have you got time to fit a trip to Cornwall into your schedule? - you'd fit right in as we don't dress up either. you might however need something slightly warmer than shorts and t-shirts.

seriously, as you're from hawaii, it's likely that you will find anywhere in europe chilly in April. bring layers - and don't fuss about the colours. when you get here, you'll find what others have found before you - NO-ONE CARES.

regards, ann
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 01:56 PM

Ah, I see today is the day when the sane posters have decided to post. Maybe it is the only day all year for sane posters on fodors. LOL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -