Reload this Page >

What to see with 2 days in Kent?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 12:47 PM
mem

Any must sees while I'm in Kent for a couple of days?

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Lori

What are you interested in? <BR><BR>Canterbury (and Cathedral) are great. We also enjoyed Hever Castle, and Rye. Also visited Battle (Hastings), Herstmonceux and Bodian Castle while in the area. <BR><BR>A lot of what you do depends on if you have a car or not..and your interests of course.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Tammy

Not sure of your interests or what you are already planning on seeing or where you are staying, but here's a couple of recommendations. <BR><BR>For great views of the White Cliffs, go to St. Margaret's at Cliffe. Go straight through town and follow a really winding road to the shore. There's a car lot, park and have great, up close views of the White Clifs. <BR><BR>I would also highly recommend Chartwell, Winston Churchill's home.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 03:11 PM
janis

There is enough in Kent to fill two months let alone two days so you will need to look at a map and see what is nearby. Concentrate on things within an hour of your B&B - where are you staying?<BR><BR>A FEW suggestions - all very worthwhile:<BR><BR>Canterbury Cathedral<BR>Sissinghurst<BR>Scotney Castle & Gardens<BR>Dover Castle<BR>Walmer Castle<BR>Deal Castle<BR>Hever<BR>Chartwell<BR>Pennshurst place<BR>Bodiam Castle<BR>Great Dixter gardens<BR>Igtham Mote<BR>Knole<BR>Rye<BR>Any of three really wonderful steam railways (Kent & E Sussex, Romney/Hythe, or Sittingbourne)<BR><BR>These are some of the top sites but there are about 100 other great places<BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 05:06 PM
janis

Topping for Nikki

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 10:52 PM
Oliver

I stayed in Cranbrook recently at an excellant B and B (www.churchgates.com) and if you like gardens , historic houses and castles, and lovely countryside this is a wonderful part of the world. I can definitely recommend Sissinghurst as the best garden in England. Leeds castle is also very poular, but I prefeered Hever Castle, home of Anne Boleyn and Penshurst Place.Definitely avoid Dover -its a busy place for passing through, although my parents enjoyed Dover castle. Incidentally do check the opening times of gardens etc. Sissinghurst is closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays this year. Also what time of year is your trip -many places especially gardens close in November. Enjoy your planning!