What to pack for Ireland Trip : Leaving 3/14

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm down to the wire and I've got my trip pretty well figured out but I'm stressing over what to pack.

We leave for Shannon this friday and are there for 11 days. We'll be spending most of our time in County Mayo with a few days in County Galway. Besides me & my husband, it's my daughter who's almost 9 and my sons who are 6 and almost 5.

My questions are short sleeves or long? I'm packing sweaters but do they need a heavy cost also or just a lighter one (possibly a rain coat)? What about gloves, hat, scarf, etc?

The forecast says 50's(F) which sounds pretty good since we live in NJ but I'm worried that since it's damp it will feel colder.

My issue is I don't want to pack heavy and I don't want to look like tourists - especially since we're there for a family reunion and will be meeting very close family for the first time.

Also, we're there for Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday and expect to be joining family for church services. I was reassured on this forum that Ireland is not overly dressy but wonder if Irish girls tend to wear spring Easter dresses or something else? My daughter will care very much about fitting in with her Irish cousins and I hate to have her feel out of place. As for the boys, they love to dress up so I'm planning on button down shirts and khakis with a sweater.

And last but not least for me & hubby - asde from church clothes, are jeans worn or are slacks more appropriate for everyday? I know this seems silly (or it does to me) but we have been told to expect my grandmother's sister to "show us off" and have already learned that the family priest is looking forward to meeting us and that we are going to a tea house near Foxford to be introduced (we are the long lost sister's children/grandchildren/great-grandchildren) and so I;m more ocncerned about dressing appropriately than I normally would be.

Thanks in advance for reading this insanely long post and for any advice.

Jennifer
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 07:20 PM

Hi Jennifer,
I think someone else will have good advice about what young girls might wear on Easter Sunday.

I've found Ireland to be the one place I travel where they dress just like home (Washington State - land of jeans & fleece.) For everyday in Ireland I felt uncomfortable if I wasn't wearing jeans. I normally wear slacks or a skirt while traveling but in Ireland I fit in best wearing jeans, and a light REI jacket (not quite a raincoat, as it had no hood.) I wore a long sleeve t-shirt under my little jacket.

I wore that for 3 weeks in August and 2 weeks in April/May and was comfortable both times.

We were really comfortable in a sweater with a raincoat. My son wore a sweatshirt rather than a sweater. I packed gloves/hats, etc but they weren't used. I think a light scarf would be nice (or buy them in Foxford!
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 02:53 AM

Definitely long sleeves! Weather in March is different from April. Take a raincoat w/liner. Wear them on your flight - too bulky to pack.

Since this is a family reunion, you may find yourself traipsing thru the fields where the praties grow (i.e., on Aunt Katie's 'farm') so you should wear water resistant footwear.

AM Temps might be in the low 40's. Gloves & caps might be good for your two boys. You can get watch caps on sale now anywhere in NJ.

So, you "don't want to look like tourists." Forget that! They all want to look like you!

Have a Great time; and don't come back without visiting Knock Shrine or Croagh Patrick (both in County Mayo). You may also like to visit Cong, the 'Quiet Man' village, also in Mayo.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 02:59 AM

From my experience of 9 year old girls they won't be wearing dresses but jeans/boots, maybe a short skirt. They'll be going for cool rather than dressy up
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:07 AM

We were in Ireland a couple of years ago in early April and it was cold with the exception of one day of about 70 in Dublin. I didn't bring a hat or gloves and had to buy some. I also wore my silk long underwear when I was out tromping around. I had a below-the-hip waterproof jacket with a fleece lining, and it was fine. I was glad I had a couple of wool sweaters, too.

Oh, and I live in Maryland so I don't live year round in warm weather.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 07:28 AM

We were in Ireland last June and it was chilly some days; for March I'd definitely bring layers, and bring a raincoat for everyone. I personally would bring gloves and a scarf for nights or damp days, but I'm from Tennessee and cold-natured anyway.

I wore jeans and very casual khaki/navy trousers every day; everywhere we went, people were very casual. The most dressed-up people I remember seeing were some Norwegian men (slacks and polos)! Can't speak to Easter services, but otherwise I think casual will be fine. Maybe you could bring one somewhat dressy outfit each for Easter, and that could also work if the Foxford tea house is a dressy occasion? (I don't have kids, so if you laugh at the idea of a 5-year-old's outfit staying clean enough to wear twice... my fault. )
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice - it sounds like I'll pack gloves / hats just in case and sop that if we;re out walking the kids don't have excuses to whine about being cold.

Lawchick - thanks for the reminder that 9 year old girls are more into cool than dressy - my daughter just got a simple black sleeveless dress with a trendy matching jacket. If she wears this with knee high black leather boots it sounds like that might work well.

NEDSIRELAND - thanks. We're planning on all the places you mentioned and can't wait to get there. And it's good to know that March is so much different than April and for the raincost suggestions - I think I'll go out and buy some for the kids.

RUFF - With the poor exchange rate, I'll be sure to bring all those things - the long underweat is a great idea. I'm worried about the dampness combined with it being cold so that should help.

RoseTravels - thanks for the info on jeans being okay - my husband is a diehard jeans man so he'll be happy not to have to wear slacks.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 04:55 AM

I disagree about the jeans part; I never wear jeans in Ireland; rarely see women in them; casual slacks would be more appropriate in my opinion, for both men and women.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Well, vallambrosa's post has made me a little nervous - can anyone let me know whether they think jeans are appropriate for everyday? Obviosuly never in church or at a nicer dinner but for walking around / visiting with family /sightseeing / eating at the pub?

If they're not, I've got a lot of shopping and repacking to do, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jennifer
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 06:54 AM

I can only tell you that though they may not be as common as in the States, I never once felt out of place in my jeans. Don't worry about what the Irish wear; you'll stick out as tourists anyway. Just be comfortable and don't stress about buying everyone new trousers at this late date! Your family will be excited to meet you no matter what trousers you're wearing.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 07:18 AM

Jeans are fine. Men do tend to wear trousers more than in the States and women tend to be a bit dressier (huge generalisation - but note the word "tend&quot. But, you will see jeans everywhere. You will see jeans in church too.

However, I'm Irish, 39 and I don't own a pair of jeans. It's really a matter of personal taste.

If you do a search you'll find the jeans in Ireland question flogged to death.

Anyway, Foxford is not exactly Milan! You're probably going to the cafe in the Foxford Wollen Mills which will be full of tourists...but sells some nice blankets/rugs etc. I have a few at home.

Pack lots of washcloths and ziploc bags!