Reload this Page >

Clothes to Pack - Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Elaine

We will be going to ireland first 2 weeks in July. All over. I know to expect cool, wet weather so i plan to bring layering clothes. My question is are jeans ok for touring around. Will shorts be needed or leave them home? Do women need skirts or dresses? I wore khakies in Paris and stuck out like sore thumb...black was everywhere, does Ireland have similar "dress code"? Don't want to look too touristy! Traveling with family, have 3 teenagers. Thanks !<BR>

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:53 AM
jacqui

hi, we live in ireland southwest region, and it is freezing today! Be prepared for regular showers and wind (ie:hooded tops, not umbrellas), some sunshine and maximum temps of about 20 celcius. We do get the occasional shorts day, but it is rare and you can always run to our woolworths (dunnes stores) for cheap summer clothes. Fashion is not an issue here, very casual outside dublin and teenagers wear the same grungy stuff as they do everywhere! Jeans are no.1 in my wardrobe, lots of layers and you'll be able to buy pretty scarves locally to jazz things up! Enjoy your holiday, call in to see us if u are in Kinsale - Jean-Marc's Chow House, Pearse Street.<BR>cheers, Jacqui

Old May 28th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Kathy

Wear what you wear in the States and you'll be fine. We wore jeans all the time except for when we went to a nicer restaurant. Layer with sweaters and a good rain jacket with a hood. You will see tons of Americans and Germans who will be dressed similarly. The emphasis is on friendliness and having a good time, not the fashion scene. After having been in London and Amsterdam, it was a relief not to worry about not being out of place.

Old May 28th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Kathy

Sorry about the typo at the end, but you know what I mean..... Go casual and have a wonderful time. Bring a black skirt or slacks if you want to "dress up".

Old May 28th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Christie

I spent a week in Ireland earlier this month and I have a couple of comments for you about the clothes. Ireland, especially in the small towns, is NOT into black clothes like the rest of Europe. I had been advised to not bring jeans, so I didn't, and I was the only person in the pub not wearing them! Jeans are just fine for everything except the nicest restaurants. I'd leave the shorts at home, though, as I didn't see a single person wearing them. They would also likely be too cool at night. One note: bring comfortable, low-heeled shoes. The streets are very narrow, and the sidewalks are often uneven cobblestones!

Old May 28th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Mary

You're smart to think about clothes for layering. The weather can change quickly! Be sure to think about a good raincoat, too. Jeans are fine for Ireland, but they take too long to dry, so I'll take lighter weight khakis. I think you'll find Ireland to be very casual. I'll wear a skirt or dress for the flight over...and can almost bet that I won't wear it again until the flight back home!

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Ann

Mary--I'm curious. Why would you wear a dress or skirt for the flight? I'm asking because I always dress as comfortably as possible for the plane, and can't imagine wanting to wear a dress or skirt.

Old May 29th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Mary

I find loose-fitting dresses or skirts more comfortable than pants. Wearing a dress to travel probably also gives away my age. I grew up thinking you should dress well when traveling...and I can't get over that idea, whether or not it makes sense!

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:54 AM
mike

Elaine.. Don't bring any sweaters to Ireland, buy them there in the numerous duty free shops you'll find in places like Killarney or at the tourist towns on the Ring of Kerry. Great buys to be had. Bring an umbrella for sure and think "casual". You'll love the people, the music and the Guinness and the "craic". <BR><BR>PS...Bring the kids with you into the pubs if they have "traditional music". It's a family friendly country. Oh yeah...If I were you, I'd definately take up Jaqui's invitation to visit. Kinsale is a lovey town to visit. We drove from Dublin in the morning, through Cork at noon and arrived in Kinsale a 1/2 hour later, where we spend 2 or 3 days at a great B&B. The town has great resteraunts... Have a great trip and remember the proper toast in a pub is "Up Kerry". However, make sure you are not still in Cork when you make it!!! cheers

Old May 31st, 2002, 10:15 AM
Ann

Thanks, Mary. I was just curious.<BR><BR>Of course, being a veteran of this site, I was scared I would get some nasty reponse to my question! Once bitten... Thanks for taking my question at face value.

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:55 PM
Jeannie

Elaine,<BR>I hope you have a wonderful time. We just returned from 9 nights. LIke has been said, jeans are absolutely fine virtually anywhere. Do take a washcloth, though, if you can't live without, as none of the places we stayed had any. We also found the food to be very good. If in Killarney, try the Cooperage Restaurant.<BR><BR>I would also advise to take a small umbrella everywhere. The way to predict if it's going to rain is if it's sunny outside.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 02:14 PM
jeanette

we are heading to Ireland the end of sept. our trip was cancelled last sept,after9/11. I know dress is very casual there, however I heard that you shuold not wear sneakers in the pubs at night, you,ll be spotted as a tourist, true or not????

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Dan

What are sneakers? Do you mean tennis shoes? I don't think anyone wears those anymore. White, rubber soled, canvas shoes are preferred, or what you'd call boat shoes do the trick as well. Unless you plan on running, I'd leave the "sneakers" at home. Bring a pair of timberland trail boots for hiking. (or the like) You can also buy anything you don't have, there. Also, bring lots and lots of smokes to give as gifts. Europeans love to smoke. You'll have a blast

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Bill

I just got back from three weeks and wore white "tennis shoes" every day. I hope people weren't staring at my feet. I think others were wearing them too. I just don't see the fashion police on patrol in Ireland. Nobody really seems to care which is why I love it so much. Dress like you dress and everything will be great. <BR><BR>Now you might have a problem if you order a "screaming orgasm" at a pub, but that's a little different. It seems drinking is about 80% beer. That may be different in Temple Bar or Galway. I never ordered anything but whisky and beer & wine and my wife ordered lots of wine and Bailey's. By the way, the Bailey's is definitely different over there.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 12:47 PM
SharonG

Just got back from 10 days in Ireland. I actually found that I was too hot in some places and ended up buying short sleeve t-shirts in local stores. It was wonderfully casual and friendly. A great place.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 11:55 PM
Notasnob

Yes, in Ireland the people care what you are like-not what you are wearing like in Paris. Notice on many of the Paris/France threads all the talk is about not wearing this or that.<BR>In Ireland-be comfortable and just enjoy! (Gee, what a concept!)

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:09 AM
bill

notasnob:<BR><BR>Absolutely correct!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Elaine

thanks to all for your comments. I am so happy to hear that Ireland is casual and friendly and they don't care what we wear! i know we'll have a great time!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:51 AM
sandra

i was in ireland the exact same time as you are going, and lucky for us the weather was (for the most part) gorgeous! hope you experience the same. we had many sunny days, about 75 degress and we wore jeans or khakis with short sleeved tees. but there were a few COLD days and we were in wool sweaters and jackets. as far as the "dress code": we live and work in NY, and i found the casual, comfortable way of dressing in ireland to be so refreshing! it is defintely not a fahsion scene--and that's wonderful! have a great trip!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Dee

jeans, jeans, jeans....ireland is very laid back- unless you plan on staying in a castle<BR>if you don't want to look touristy wear dirty sneakers and not snow white ones<BR>Dee