Search

What to Pack?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 07:23 AM
Bernie

What to Pack?

I've never been to Europe in the Fall/Winter, so I don't know what to expect, really. I'm a very warm-natured person, so I fear that I'll be really cold. I'll be in Switzerland and Austria for 8 days at the end of November. I want to make sure that I fit the weather and also the styles there. I don't really want to stick out too much. I also don't want to overpack. I'll be doing casual touristy things as well as going out in the evenings. Please help!

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 08:49 AM
elaine

Dear Bernie <BR>There have been many postings on this Forum about packing and clothes and luggage. Do a Search on "Pack" or "Clothes" and you should get a lot of suggestions. <BR>The most common suggestion while traveling is "layering". I am not familiar with the countries you are visiting, but I'm sure if during the day <BR>you layer a turtleneck with a pullover cardigan or blazer and top it with a warm jacket or lined raincoat,gloves, and a scarf, and also bring an umbrella, you should be prepared for all but the most extreme weather. <BR> <BR>For checking the weather forecasts closer to your departure day, here are some websites: <BR>www.nytimes.com/ <BR>www.weather.com/ <BR>www.cnn.com/WEATHER/ <BR>www.weatherpost.com <BR>www.usatoday.com/weather/ <BR>www.rainorshine.com/ <BR>www.timeout.com click on your city, then on weather <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 09:49 AM
Mike Murphy

Bernie, <BR>As Elaine mentioned, check for extended forecasts on the weather sites. My personal favorite is: <BR>http://www.wunderground.com/ <BR>Neat thing about this site is it stores historical data (for the bigger cities). <BR>In general, CH and AT will be close to or below freezing for lows, maybe getting into low-mid 40s' for highs but it all depends on where you are. There are plenty of microclimates, especially near the mountains, in both countries that defy the "normals" of temperature, i.e. there's a town in Switzerland that has banana trees growing outside, all year round? Chances are good to that it will snow.

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 07:20 PM
Donna

We visited Switzerland in November and were most grateful to have brought our down parkas. Next time, though, we'll bring down coats (folks there wear parkas only when going skiing) in more neutral colors. Hoods preclude the need for a hat. My husband's is bright blue and mine is red. They were enormously handy for "finding" each other, but we sure did stick out! Be sure to pack the ubiquitous "layers". It's colder the higher the elevation everywhere, but quite warm indoors (shops and restaurants). You'll want to pack as lightly as possible, so it's best if everything matches everything else. I'd recommend for you a black wool skirt, black wool slacks, a nice dress, along with a twin set or two and a warm sweater (and/or blazer if you can wear it under your coat) (plus warm outerwear). With a warm hat, scarf and gloves, along with warm, but comfortable, footwear, you'll be much more comfortable when out and about. Pack separates, versus "outfits". Don't take anything you won't wear at least twice. I take my silk long johns (bottoms, sleeveless top, long sleeved top) (available at L. L. Bean, Lands End, etc.) which are an incredibly lightweight and comfortable "extra layer" outdoors, but not too warm indoors. In the smaller towns, "smart" casual attire for dinner is fine. In the "resort" areas and larger cities, you'd want to dress up a bit for dinner, unless you're going to a casual restaurant. My standby is a black dress and pretty sweater or blazer along with a strand of pearls. Switzerland was our first trip to Europe and we packed far too much (at least half went unworn). As for the "styles", you'll probably feel more comfortable and "blend" more effectively in solid neutrals (as opposed to bright colors and plaids or prints). If you'll be visiting Appenzell, do all your shopping there! The shops are wonderful. We found everything (and more) there we had seen elsewhere and the prices were much more reasonable.

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 04:12 AM
suzann

Bernie, <BR>Bring a raincoat with a good liner; it's cold and wet in CH in November. Underneath the raincoat you wear an undershirt, shirt, sweater & jacket; or an undershirt and heavy fisherman-type sweater; or an undershirt and turtleneck and heavy sweater. I've found you'll blend in more with a raincoat like this than with down coats or parkas. I've also found that undershirts wash easily and add an extra layer of warmth. <BR> <BR>suzann

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 09:46 AM
lina

A couple of suggestions: <BR> <BR>1) A small light-weight hot water bottle. You'll stay warm in your room if the heating is inadequate or if there aren't enough covers. It's also great if you get chilled or catch cold. I take one for every fall trip and always use it. <BR> <BR>2) A polar fleece pullover or cardigan. These are really warm, lightweight, dry quickly, and keep you comfortable over a range of temperatures.

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 11:20 AM
AJ

I have to (politely) laugh at the poster who suggested that a turtleneck, blazer and jacket might be enough in the winter. Coming from Minnesota, that type of clothing would do little for typical winter climates, including those in parts of Austria and Switzerland. <BR> <BR>I would recommend a thinsulate jacket or coat with a zipout fleece liner. (Is thinsulate universal? I think so.) <BR> <BR>And this may sound silly, but I would also pack some disposable chemical hand warmers. These are little creditcard size packets, costing about a $1, that you shake to create a chemical heat reaction which lasts for a couple of hours. You can also get "body-warmers" that are more like the size of a compact disc, and fit inside your shirt. They are no comparison for a warm jacket, but come in very handy when traveling in cold climates. I would have killed for a handwarmer standing in line at the Louvre in early March.

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 12:42 PM
lisa

I think the most important thing is to keep your feet warm and dry. If your feet are cold you won't want to walk anywhere or see anything. Make sure you have comfortable waterproof footwear and do not wear cotton socks because cotton will not keep you warm if it gets wet. Wear silk or wool instead, as they retain heat even when wet, or wear some of those synthetic socks that wick moisture away from your body which you can get in hiking/camping/athletic stores. Also, if you are prone to be very cold, definitely bring a hat or a hood because that's where most of the heat escapes from your body. I would also recommend a wool scarf for your neck, and gloves or mittens. I understand your desire to "blend in," but to the extent that there is a tradeoff between staying warm and comfortable versus looking like a local, definitely err on the side of staying warm! Since you're a tourist, you will necessarily be spending more time outside getting from place to place than will the locals who are working and living their everyday lives, so you are entitled to bundle up!

Old Oct 28th, 1999, 07:40 AM
suzann

AJ, <BR>I appreciate your courtesy, but still I must disagree. I'm a warm-weather gal, and have travelled to Germany and Switzerland in November, December, January, & February. I've always found <BR>these layers to be sufficient: undershirt, turtleneck, heavy (heavy, <BR>now) cardigan, and raincoat with liner. When hiking in the mountains, I <BR>leave off the cardigan and still find myself taking off layers around <BR>mid-day. As you suggest, though, nothing will be warm enough for <BR>standing in line on the cold pavement. For everything else, my system <BR>works. <BR> <BR>suzann <BR> <BR>